A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Do you want to build up your resume?
Do you want to make changes in your community?
Then join us at Legal Hand and volunteer!
Legal Hand, a community legal resource center with storefront centers in Brooklyn and Queens is seeking volunteers for our Bronx Highbridge site!
Legal Hand Volunteers provide legal information, assistance, and referrals from the storefront offices. Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand’s mission to improve access to justice in low-income communities by directing people with civil legal problems to effective resources and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteers are trained at no cost, learning valuable advocacy and legal skills. Legal Hand volunteers come from all backgrounds and walks of life— from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is necessary.
Volunteers will operate out of easy-to-find, neighborhood storefront center in Highbridge.
Volunteers will be paid a stipend of $15 per shift to cover transportation. (1 shift = 3 hours)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete trainings in a variety of legal issue areas, including immigration, family law, housing, benefits, and employment
- Assist residents with variety of legal issues by completing intake, filling out and filing paperwork
- Track client information in computer database consistently and accurately
- Conduct outreach to advertise the program
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week in our office for minimum of 6 months
- Interest in public interest law and community organizing
- Must be 18 and over
- Desire to help members of the community resolve their problems
- Must speak fluent English; ability to speak Spanish a plus but not required
- Must have strong computer literacy and comfort
- Knowledge of NYC benefits a plus but not required
For more information, or with any questions, please contact
James 917.515.3612 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided