Adult ESL Teacher
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by International Rescue Committee in New York and New Jersey
IRC New York Regional Office - Family Education
Position: Adult ESL Volunteer Teacher- Beginner and Intermediate Levels
Reports to: Family Education Coordinator
Position term: End of June 2018 – Mid December, 2108 (Approximately 6 hours per week - Monday, Wednesday 10am-12pm or Tuesday and Thursday 4pm-6pm)
Please note this is an unpaid position
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 29 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The IRC New York office’s Family Education program provides free classes and educational services to our adult refugee and immigrant clients. They have diverse cultural and educational backgrounds. Moreover, they are highly adaptable, usually multilingual, and eager to start rebuilding their lives in America. At the IRC, they may enroll in on-site English classes, attend cultural orientation sessions, participate in workshops, and register for external educational opportunities.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Volunteers will teach one or two levels (beginner and intermediate) modular “a la carte” English class to help newly arrived refugees and immigrants transition into the everyday aspects of life in the US. Using engaging and student-centered lessons, the teacher will provide content-based instruction. Finally, volunteers will collaborate with members of the Family Education team to ensure clients’ immediate educational needs are met.
· Prepare for and teach ESL classes for immigrants, newly-arrived refugee and asylee clients, using interactive, learner-centered activities and ESL strategies
· Assess adult students, document attendance and student progress
· Communicate with the Family Education team and program coordinator about individual client progress and the best way to provide support as necessary
· Plan and lead student excursions and field trips in New York City
· Be open to receiving one teacher observation from the program coordinator
· Attend regular check-ins with the Family Education Coordinator and team meetings
· Experience teaching ESOL to adults, and a bachelor’s degree are a must, TESOL certificate highly desirable
· Experience working with adult students from a variety of backgrounds, including those with limited formal education and/or literacy skills
· Comfort teaching in an open enrollment and multi-level classroom
· Excellent classroom management skills and confidence facilitating both large and small groups
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
· Reliable, responsible, and dedicated to the position until the end of the semester
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please send resume, cover letter (including which level you prefer to teach), and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org