MUJERES UNIDAS AVANZANDO: FALL 2018 VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Mujeres Unidas Avanzando
Times of day
A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Mujeres Unidas Avanzando
54 Clayton St
Agency Overview/Mission: At Mujeres Unidas Avanzando (MUA), our mission is to help women to break the barriers that stand in the way of their social and economic growth. Through our programs, MUA serves low-income residents from Dorchester and Boston’s surrounding neighborhoods, the clear majority of whom are Latina, although any woman is welcome to take advantage of our programs and services. We offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes; High School Equivalency preparation in Spanish (Hi-SET); computer classes; health workshops and focus groups; HHA and Phlebotomy trainings; Citizenship Preparation; counseling; basic needs referrals and assistance; Family Literacy; one-on-one tutoring provided by volunteers; pull-out sessions for struggling students in Pre-ESOL and ESOL; and on-site child care for mothers with pre-school aged children participating in MUA’s program. Classes run from 9:30-12:00 and 12:00-3:30 to enable mothers to attend our program. We will also have a night program this year from 5:00 - 9:30 PM. All services are free.
MUA has a flexible schedule and a casual work environment. We are on the MBTA Red Line and provide an authentic setting in which to practice your Spanish; apply your teaching skills; or apply knowledge from a wide range of academic backgrounds, including Sociology, Communications, Education, International Relations, Women’s Studies, Latin American Studies, Economic Development, Marketing, etc. The following volunteer opportunities are available starting in September 2018:
- Tutor individual ESOL students in pull-out sessions
- Tutor Hi-SET students in all subjects in Spanish (strong need for math tutors)
- Facilitate ESOL conversation groups
- Serve as a Teaching Assistant in our ESOL Classes, Citizenship Preparation Classes, Computer Skills Classes, and/or HHA/Phlebotomy Training Courses
- Assist with general office responsibilities
- Help with our child care services
- Assist with Social Media, Marketing, and/or Outreach
- Organize Family Literacy activities for mothers and children
- Implement workshops around women’s issues, family health, women’s health, immigration issues, economic empowerment, etc.
- ...Or, a project of your creation!
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers