Assistant After-School Program Coordinator (AmeriCorps Position)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps--Boston
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps (NDMVA) is seeking an Assistant Program Coordinator to serve as a Full-time AmeriCorps Member with the Community School After School Program, a division of the Somerville Public Schools, from September 2018-July 2019.
The AmeriCorps Member would serve with an after-school program at one of the 8 public elementary schools in Somerville. The Member would be responsible for assisting with records, registration, and management of students, as well as individual support of students who have learning disadvantages.
We invite applications from individuals who are over 18 and have work experience or a college education.
Applicants should also possess:
The willingness to spend half a year in the service of others.
Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to be flexible, adaptive, and work on a team.
U.S. citizenship or be a lawful permanent resident.
Commitment to serve as a full-time volunteer for 11 months.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- Living Allowance: Because Notre Dame- AmeriCorps is partnered with the Corporation for National and Community Service, we are able to offer our members a yearly living allowance which is distributed bi-weekly over the 11 months term. The pre-tax figure for 2018-2019 is $13,732.
- The Education Award: Upon completion of an 11 month service term, AmeriCorps members receive a taxable education award of $5,920 (approx.). The education award can be applied to qualified student loans or future education at a Title IV institution. To learn more about the education award and the National Service Trust, please visit AmeriCorps' page on the subject.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Members of NDA are eligible for forbearance of federal student loans during their term of service. This means that while a member is serving, he or she does not make payments on his or her qualifying loans. In addition, the National Trust will pay the interest that accrues on the loan at the end of the term of service. For more information please visit Postponing Student Loan Payments and Getting Interest Paid
- Community Housing Option: NDMVA Boston is able to offer a low-rent community housing option to NDMVA Members. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Optional Health Insurance: We provide optional healthcare while you serve with NDA. The health insurance is through a partnership with The Corps Network and Summit America. To learn more, visit the Summit America website.
- Child Care: NDA members may also be eligible for child care benefits. The AmeriCorps Child Care Program covers up to the state’s local market rate for child care fees and makes payments directly to the member’s caregiver. Members must select a legal caregiver as determined by the state and complete an application. For more information about childcare benefits visit the Gap Solutions website. To qualify for child care assistance, members must fall into a certain income bracket determined by the state.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
1. Complete and submit a full, two-part application:
- AmeriCorps Application Online (Search program name "Notre Dame" & select "Boston" from list)
- Complete a Notre Dame Supplemental Application Essay and Self-Reference Form (Submit via email to the Site Director, Gina Ndalima, at Boston@ndmva.org)
2. Submit one of the following Educational Records to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transcript from most recent college or university
- Copy of high school diploma
- If working on GED, please contact email@example.com
3. If selected, you will then be contacted by an NDMVA staff member for a preliminary interview.
4. Upon selection to serve, Members will be required to consent to a National Service Criminal History Check. The NSCHC includes:
-National Sex Offender Public Registry search
-FBI Criminal History Record
-Statewide Criminal History Check(s) (from designated state repositories)
-More information on completing this step will be provided by NDA staff upon selection for the program.