Times of day
A few hours per month
Project Evaluators will help GlobalGiving form closer relationships with its partners overseas by conducting in-country visits. This programme provides a unique opportunity to get practical experience in the development sector, learn new skills and support incredible local organisations.
At GlobalGiving, we aim to connect small, local organisations to the resources, awareness and funding they need to thrive, but often struggle to access. As part of our Evaluation Programme, we're looking to train skilled individuals to become Project Evaluators, who will provide in-person support to our nonprofit partners overseas to achieve this.
The programme is designed for talented, proactive and positive people looking to use their skills to make a sustained impact on the ground. This is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking to kick-start their career in development or enhance their current role, put their knowledge to good use, challenge themselves and gain highly transferable skills.
From March 2018, Evaluators will receive training in project evaluation and the GlobalGiving digital platform before they conduct their visits in the summer. Evaluators can travel for 2-10 weeks between June and November.
There is a project contribution of £700 if you are accepted onto this programme. This covers intensive professional training pre-departure, project coordination and support whilst in-country. Money for accommodation, flights, insurance, vaccinations and other expenses are not included in this. GlobalGiving is happy to provide fundraising advice and support. See here for an estimate of full costs.
Please note that the training takes place in London over three weekends March-June. The support sessions are usually done in person but can be done remotely over Skype.
The Evaluation Programme:
The programme helps GlobalGiving fosters closer collaborative relationships with project leaders, identifies training and support needs, improves organisations’ communications with current and prospective donors and facilitates access to relevant peer learning networks, professional training and resources.
Project Evaluators will visit each nonprofit for 4 days and work with them to complete an in-depth organisational assessment, culminating in a comprehensive audit report.
Prior to visits, Evaluators review the project partner’s existing materials and activities on GlobalGiving and liaise directly with the organisations to plan the visit for maximum value. Partner visits consist of interviews, observations, text-based research, analysis, and report writing.
Before carrying out assessments, Evaluators:
- Receive six days of professional, intensive training and one-to-one support. The training includes discussions with external experts and a mix of interactive training and exercises.
- Generate a bespoke itinerary by communicating with the partner projects they will visit.
During the Evaluation Programme, volunteers:
- Conduct interviews with staff and volunteers
- Identify training and support needs
- Ensure a good assessment of a project's transparency and effectiveness, including: past and projected impact, financial transparency, governance, staff and volunteers development, fundraising, networking and administration
- Support partners’ to improve their communications with current and prospective donors
- Write a professional external audit report for partners visited
- Increase awareness of GlobalGiving and the partners visited through digital media content
Who are you?
We encourage applicants from all work experiences and professional backgrounds to apply.
We only ask that applicants are 21 years and over, UK residents and have international travel experience.
Additionally, we are looking for people who have:
- The ability to organise and prioritise projects from start to finish
- Skills in conducting analyses, writing reports and giving presentations
- A high level of sensitivity and excellent communication and listening skills (working collaboratively with partners across cultural barriers, stimulating productive and open conversations)
- An open mind and a flexible attitude
We love welcoming a wide variety of people onto this programme, but if you're still unsure you'd 'fit the bill', take a look at last years' cohort of volunteers to see how varied their backgrounds are.
If you think it may be for you, submit an application by 31st January 2018! Visit our website for even more information about the programme.
How To Apply
To become a GlobalGiving Project Evaluator, follow the link above and complete our application form by January 31st 2018. Alternatively, you can visit our website to get more information and apply through the link provided there.
For any help, email our Evaluation Programme Coordinator Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our UK office on 020 7242 8079.