Serve with Us! AmeriCorps Service Member Opportunity with Public Allies New York
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Public Allies
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Public Allies New York seeks leaders committed to working for community and social change within the non-profit sector. When you join Public Allies, you join a national network of AmeriCorps members dedicated to practicing six core values of Diversity/Inclusion, Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Integrity, Building on Assets, and Innovation. Allies serve for 10 months as full-time participants at local nonprofits where they create, improve, and expand services that address critical issues in our communities.
Serve with us!
- Gain professional experience while receiving leadership development, individual coaching, access to professional networks and other career benefits
- Plan, develop, and implement service projects impacting various communities throughout New York City
- Receive a monthly stipend of $1,700
- Obtain a Segal Education Award of $5,920 upon completion of the program
- Receive Healthcare, childcare (if eligible), and student loan deferment Qualifications
- be over the age of 18
- have a high school diploma or HSE
- serve a 10 month term of service from March 2018 to January 2019
- be a U.S. Citizen or have legal Permanent Resident status
- have no more than 1 year service with another AmeriCorps program
- pass a background checks: We cannot accept an applicant who is a registered sex offender or has been convicted of murder. Any other misdemeanor or felony is up to our discretion. We believe in second chances and creating equitable opportunities.
We believe that Everyone Leads but there are qualities and characteristics that candidates should demonstrate in the following areas:
- of social justice issues impacting the lives of New Yorkers
- of the goals of the organization in which they will serve
- sees the possibilities for making the world a “more perfect union for all of us”
- sees projects through to completion
- takes an idea and moves it to fruition
- works independently with minimal direction
- communicates with others effectively across hierarchical structures
- gives and receives constructive feedback well
- continuously learns and converts feedback into action
- willing to be coached to learn and trained and managed to be more effective
- Utilizes own skills and knowledge to make better decisions
- to time, communications, organizational goals
- faces challenges head-on
- dependable and delivers on promises
- able to work with others to accomplish goals
- calls upon diverse networks
- sees the assets in a variety of communities and people
- adapts to changing environments
- utilizes critical thought, problem solving, goal setting,and assessment
- understands there are multiple ways to accomplish goals
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
There are two ways to apply:
1) Create a profile and complete an application by clicking here.
2) Submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "Public Allies 2018-2019 AmeriCorps Member" in subject line.
Additional information about the program can be accessed on our website.