Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
420 Atlantic Ave.
READ 718 is a non-profit literacy center that provides tutoring and literacy workshops to low-income students in grades 3-8. We are looking for dedicated, reliable, caring, positive people who are committed to working with a child at least one hour a week, from July 5-25.
On average, students lose two months of reading skills over the summer, and they start the academic year with achievement levels lower than where they were at the beginning of summer break. This phenomenon is referred to as summer slide. READ 718’s Summer Reading Room is intended to keep kids engaged and reading over the summer in order to prevent this setback.
Literacy Tutor Requirements:
- excellent literacy and communication skills
- must be at least 18 years of age and have high school diploma
- available for a minimum of one hour a week on Mondays, Tuesdays, and/or Wednesdays
- experience with children and/or adolescents
- interest in literacy education practices
- positive, collaborative attitude
- must agree to background check
- must attend one, 2.5-hour training session
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Follow the link above to our website. Go to "Volunteer" page and fill out a volunteer registration form. Contact Program Coordinator, Alice Walker, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.