Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The Tandana Foundation is seeking a volunteer to assist with health care projects in mountain villages in the Otavalo canton of Ecuador, a region that is rich in natural beauty and cultural diversity. This position is available year-round, and the minimum time commitment is 9 months.
Your main responsibility will be to assist patients of all ages from Tandana’s Health Care Volunteer Vacations who need additional care. This will involve contacting them and walking them through the public health system. You will work along side local health care professionals and Tandana staff to set up and accompany patients to all necessary appointments at the rural health centers and the hospitals in Otavalo, Ibarra, or Quito. You will also help prepare for and participate in Tandana's health care volunteer vacations. The preparation will consist of getting paperwork ready, delivering letters to inform the communities, and organizing and taking inventory of medicines and supplies. During the medical volunteer programs, you will be a part of the team traveling to a different rural village each day to provide primary care. You may prepare medications for patients, take vitals, perform simple laboratory tests or fulfill another support role as depending on your skills. Additionally, depending on your availability and interests as well as Tandana's needs, you may participate in other projects such as facilitating a class for the elderly to promote brain development and activity, assisting a local doctor or a midwife, or giving health talks at local schools. Finally, you will serve as a a cultural ambassador and a positive representative of The Tandana Foundation. In return, you will be placed with a host family, which will allow countless opportunities to explore the indigenous cultures and subsistence lifestyles of highland Ecuador as well as the natural environment around you. You will also be given all the support you need to succeed in your work and be encouraged to accomplish your personal goals.
- Conversational/Fluent Spanish
- Experience living in cross-cultural situations, preferably in Latin America
- Demonstrated interest in a health profession or the field of public health (specific credentials are not necessary)
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse array of people, to solve problems creatively, and to promote a positive experience for all involved
- Self-motivation, responsibility, and an ability to work independently
- Minimum age is 21
- Minimum time commitment is 9 months
- Completion of Global Ambassadors for Global Safety Course
- Follow up with patients from Tandana Health Care Volunteer Vacations who need additional care
- Help prepare for and participate in Tandana's Health Care Volunteer Vacations
- Engage in other health care projects as needed
- Represent Tandana in a positive manner to all community members and volunteers and help to build good relationships
- The opportunity to participate in unique cultural activities and be a part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team
- Detailed orientation and ongoing support from Tandana's Ecuador Program Manager as well as a mentor
- Room and board with a local family (homestay)
- Work expenses including local transportation, cell phone, and consular fees. (Volunteers pay their own airfare to Ecuador)
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested parties should send a resume and a letter addressing each of the following questions to Aaron DiMartino, Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please describe any experience you have living in Ecuador or in another cross-cultural situation.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader?
- Describe an experience that was very challenging for you. How did you deal with the difficulties, and what did you learn from the experience?
- What are you passionate about, and how do you express that passion?
- What do you think will be most exciting about this opportunity?
- What do you think will be most difficult about this opportunity?
- What are your personal and professional goals for this opportunity and how can we help you accomplish them?