Community Center Assistant
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Alameda County
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
675 23rd Street
The SVdP Community Center is located in the heart of one of California's most distressed communities, West Oakland at San Pablo and West Grand Avenues. The center occupies one square block on the border of downtown and West Oakland. The Help Desk serves as the main point of entry for our clients within our Community Center and connects clients with SVdP services, including free access to clothing, hygiene kits, laundry, showers, shelter, referral services, and support groups. Join our team of volunteers to help our neighbors in need and make them feel welcome at SVdP!
Volunteers will be asked to:
- Welcome, check-in, and refer clients to appropriate departments.
- Assist clients with accessing direct services (showers, laundry, clothing etc.).
- Oversee waiting area.
- Conduct intake forms for new clients.
- General tidying of waiting area, including wiping down tables and chairs, as well as cleaning up small spills.
- Sorting and handing out mail to our clients as they come in
- Lend an ear when someone needs to speak with someone
Time: 3 hour shifts are available Tuesday - Saturday between 9:30am and 3:30pm. We especially need help in the afternoon from 12:30pm to 3:30pm.
Commitment: One shift per week is ideal; commitment of 2-3 months is appreciated.
Volunteers will attend an orientation and receive training on or before their first day of service.
Our services are open Tuesday-Saturday from 9:30am-3pm. Volunteers typically will work half days in the morning or the afternoon.
- International Volunteers