Research Diver/Research Assistant - Komodo Expedition 2018, Indonesia
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Indo Ocean Project
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Lambo, Pirates Bay Cruises
East Nusa Tenggara
Indo Ocean Project is a research training and conservation project in the heart of the coral triangle. Our field expeditions in Indonesia hosts international and local research projects focused on marine mega fauna and coral reef conservation in national marine parks across Indonesia. You don’t need to be a diver or a scientist to take part! Our project relies on the experience and expertise of our volunteers from around the world to take action and take part.
We are currently accepting applications for:
1) Komodo Expedition – July 8th 2018 (11 days)
Komodo Project 2018
We are currently seeking volunteer researchers for our liveaboard Komodo Expedition 2018. We are setting sail from Labuan Bajo (Komodo, Flores) on July 8th and returning to the Gili Islands(Lombok) on July 19th. This is an 11-day liveabaord expedition surveying the Komodo National Park, Northern Sumbawa, and Lombok region in an action packed adventure of a lifetime.
The program is jammed packed with exiting world class diving and land based activities, because it’s not ALWAYS about the science. Between manta dives, waterfall hikes, Komodo dragon encounters, and scientific workshops, you will be taking part in data collection, entry, and analysis right form the decks of the Pirate’s Bay Cruises’ liveabaord vessel, Lambo.
As a volunteer researcher you will be working and living alongside experienced marine biologists, dive instructors, and boat captains. Our dives are dedicated to baited remote under water video (BRUV) data for Dr. Mark Bond’s research at Florida International University, survey diving for Reef.org, and photographic identification of sharks and rays for Manta Watch. We make every dive count! With over 27 scheduled dives over 11 days there is never a dull moment.
· Due to the nature of the dives, all applicants must hold an ADVANCED OPEN WATER DIVER certification or higher from any internationally recognized certification company before the program start date.
· Strong swimming skills
· Comfortable with shared living quarters aboard a small sailing vessel.
· 18+ applicants or written consent form from a parent or gaurdian.
Don’t have the right qualifications yet? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org about completing your required courses in Nusa Lembongan during a prep week from July 1st – 7th
Projects like ours rely on the generosity of our partners and volunteers to develop and grow. In order for us to create an awesome adventure for you we require a tuition to cover your expenses while on program. Because of the donations from our local partners we are able to keep the cost low while covering all your needs so you can focus on your training and work during your time.
Total costs per person is $3,150.00 USD (includes taxes)
· 10 nights accommodation aboard sailing vessel Lambo
· 1 night shared accommodation on Introduction day in Labuan Bajo
· All meals and non-alcoholic beverages provided on boat
· 27+ dives from Komodo to Gili Islands
· AWARE Shark Conservation Diver Certification Course
· REEF Level 2 certification
· DAN Insurance up to US$100,000 in diving accident/illness medical treatment and emergency evacuation
· Accommodation & Travel insurance
· Airport or Labuan Bajo area pick up on start date
· Necessary work-related transportation
· Pre departure support from staff
· Indonesian VISA support
· Program t-shirt
What’s Not Included:
· International or domestic flights
· Dive equipment (available for rental for $30/day from Pirates Bay Cruises)
· Harbour and marine park fees ($100 USD/person)
· In country spending money
· Off boat meals (3 scheduled)
· Indonesian VISA’s
· Additional Travel Insurance
· Crew tips
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Please complete the application on our Apply Now page to be considered for the research expedition to Komodo this July 2018. You will be contacted shortly with an interview questionnaire. With only limited spots available we will be accepting applications until February 2018 and your spot will only be secured once the deposit has been received.
**If you are not Advanced certified yet and want to apply for the expedition we can schedule an advanced course prior to the departure date at Reeflex Divers at our project headquarters in Nusa Penida**
If you have any further questions please contact email@example.com