Public/External Volunteer Audit Committee Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission - Executive Office
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is seeking a dedicated volunteer to work as a member of our Audit Committee.
Length of Commitment: Minimum of two (2) years.
Position Description/Responsibilities: As a member of the Audit Committee, provide independent review and oversight of the M-NCPPC’s financial reporting processes, internal controls, and auditing functions. Audit Committee members will participate in at least four (4) meetings per year, which are generally held quarterly, or, more often as needed.
The Audit Committee:
- Is responsible for appointment, compensation, retention, and oversight of the work of the Inspector General engaged in performing independent audit services, reviews, or attest services.
- Reviews reports/assessments, requests additional investigation of concerns as needed, and makes recommendations to the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Commission.
- Receives and evaluates findings presented by the Independent Auditor and the Inspector General that address the effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls.
- Reviews the agency’s application and adherence to federal/state financial regulations and internal standards/policies related to financial management; ethics; whistleblower protection; and fraud, waste and abuse prevention.
- Reviews audit reports and investigations issued by the Office of Inspector General.
- Establishes procedures for the receipt, retention, and treatment of complaints on internal financial controls and practices, or auditing matters.
- Presents reports to the Commission.
- The candidate must have no other existing business or personal relationship with the M-NCPPC, its officers, managers, or employees, except as disclosed and approved by the Commission members of the Committee.
- A commitment of at least two (2) years of service is required.
Additionally, the Candidate must possess:
- Advanced education and experience in the management of governmental entities comparable in scope and complexity to the M-NCPPC.
- Professionally-recognized financial/accounting certification (e.g., CIA, CISA, CPA, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of:
- Generally accepted accounting principles;
- Generally accepted government auditing standards and financial statements; and
- Internal controls.
- Understating of the appropriate functions of an audit committee.
- Experience in preparing or auditing financial statements of comparable entities.
- Experience in applying such principles in accounting for estimates, accruals, and reserves.
- Strong organizational skills, and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The ideal candidate for this position may also possess:
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of:
- Sustainable financial management practices for public entities; and
- Public accountability.
How To Apply
Please submit CV or resume detailing relevant experience to e-mail address specified. Individual selected will be subject to a criminal history background investigation.