2601 North Howard Street, Suite 310
Corporate Kickball Referee Position
Playworks is a non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of children by increasing opportunities for physical activity and safe meaningful play.
We are recruiting Referees for our one-day Corporate Kickball Tournament—this contract position provides an exciting opportunity for professional development and is a great experience to add to your resume. The Playworks Maryland Corporate Kickball Referee Position is a one day only contract position.
- Must have knowledge of baseball, softball, and/or adult kickball.
- Comfort handling stressful situations in a professional manor.
- Ability to mediate conflicts between adults.
- Sense of humor, energetic, and flexibility helpful.
- Prior experience as a referee or sports trainer (preferred)
- Must be available on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 for a 1-hour training between the hours 12:00 am - 1:00 pm and Friday, June 1, 2018 between the hours 10:00 am - 5:00 pm (arrival time of 10:00 am, the day of event).
- Ensure that the field is properly setup and accept responsibility of equipment.
- Introduce yourself to team captains and initiate Rock-Paper-Scissors (RPS) to determine the home and away teams. The home team is in the field first and has last at-bat.
- Responsible for creating a healthy, fun and safe environment for all volunteers.
- Announce the start time of the game by the scheduled start-time.
- Referee the game: Make vocal calls of all balls/strikes, foul/fair, and out/safe calls. Keep track of the innings, outs, and score.
- Perform the pre-game discussion and skills-building component before each game.
- Stay after games are over to clean field of materials/items.
- Record the final score and circle the winning team on the score sheet.
- Check the field area for trash after games and remind teams to remove their trash as needed.
- Problem solve at kickball event in order to keep the games running smoothly (i.e. professionally handle situations between teams).
- Follow up with Playworks staff if problems arise.
Stipend: Referees are paid $12 per hour.
Job Type: Contract/Volunteer
Salary: $12.00 /hour
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided