Volunteer Advisory Board Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
901 S. Highland St
ECDC/AFRICAN COMMUNITY CENTER DC METRO
African Community Center DC Metro Area is the branch of the Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC) operating in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. ACC is operational from two offices located in Arlington, Virginia and Silver Spring, Maryland. With the main purpose of resettling refugees and asylum seekers, ACC provides various services to newcomers to the United States.
ACC's vision is to bring culturally and linguistically appropriate services to immigrant communities in the DC Metro Area.
ACC's mission is to resettle refugees and immigrants and to promote the education, health, culture, and socio-economic development needs of the refugee community in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
· To provide services and programs that help newcomers become self-sufficient, productive members in their new communities.
· To foster greater understanding among newcomers and their local communities.
· To conduct outreach and education to increase public awareness about refugees and immigrants.
· To participate in forums and community events that involve the interest of refugees and immigrants.
THE VOLUNTEER ADVISORY BOARD DESCRIPTION
Advisory Board Purpose:
The Advisory Board serves as a resource and community champion of the Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC), African Community Center of the DC Metropolitan Area (ACC DC). Members of the Advisory Board share and serve in ECDC/ACC DC’s mission by providing our organization with their professional expertise; their diverse perspectives; their connections to local or national resources, colleagues or peers; their philanthropic support; and/or other forms of assistance as needed. The Advisory Council has no governing function within ECDC/ACC DC.
The Advisory Board is comprised of a minimum of 4 and maximum of 8 members and meets on a quarterly basis. Members serve for 1 year terms and may be reappointed. Members are selected by ECDC/ACC DC’s Director in consultation with the ECDC President. The Advisory Board has three Officers: a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson and a Secretary, selected by the ACC DC Director, in consultation with the ACC DC management team. Meetings are held at ECDC’s Arlington office, located at 901 S. Highland Street, Arlington, V.A. 22204 and members are responsible for their own transportation to meetings. The Advisory Board meets as a body and, on occasion, forms subgroups to explore issues in greater detail for consideration by the full Advisory Board. Recommendations are forwarded to the ACC DC Director.
Advisory board members should:
· Be residents of the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area.
· Be available and committed to participating in quarterly advisory board meetings, and attending ECDC/ACC DC special gatherings.
· Support ECDC/ACC DC’s mission and objectives.
· Be familiar with and passionate for refugee resettlement and human service development activities.
· Be representative of constituencies that ECDC/ACC DC deals with (refugees and immigrants, national origins, governmental entities at all levels, community organizations, etc.).
· Be able to offer skills beneficial to the goals and objectives of ECDC/ACC DC (legal, financial, human resources, management, fundraising, etc.).
· Be familiar with various aspects of fundraising. This may include having established relationships with potential funding partners, or knowledge of fundraising, grant making, and preparing funding applications.
· Be able to effectively participate in a collaborative group setting, which includes working closely with other members, providing feedback in a respectful manner, and being open diverse ideas.
· Act annually in some significant way to support ECDC/ACC DC’s mission (e.g. expert advice, outreach, funding or fundraising).
· Become familiar with ECDC/ACC DC, and review agendas and other materials in advance of meetings.
· Attend Advisory Board meetings. More than 2 absences during a year may result in termination from the Advisory Board.
· Make recommendations on operations, including: recruitment and outreach; best practices; training; business growth; and financial training and support.
· Maintain the good imagine of ECDC/ACC DC in the community by conducting outreach to inform community members about the work of the agency, solicit their input, and identify additional forums for engaging the public.
· Raise funds that will help ECDC/ACC DC fulfill its obligations.
· Be available for phone-based consultation with ECDC/ACC DC Director and management staff.
· Follow Advisory Board Guidelines and procedures.
· Allow ECDC/ACC DC to publish your name as a member of the Advisory Board.
ECDC is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
Please submit by mail or e-mail a cover letter and resume to by email to email@example.com with “Advisory Board” in the subject line, or physically to:
901 S. Highland St.
Arlington, VA 22204
Applications should be submitted by April 23, 2018 for consideration
ECDC is an equal opportunity employer.