I.T. Specialist Volunteer: Website, Graphic Design, Excel, Translation Or Photography/Video
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Otra Cosa Network
Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Las Camelias 431
At Otra Cosa Network, our vision is equal opportunities in Peru for everyone to succeed and thrive.
We run five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns. Alongside this, we support several partner organisations in the area, as well as in two remote locations in northern Peru.
Volunteer Roles/ Working Hours
We need volunteers with a solid knowledge of any of the following specialist areas:
- Website design and maintenance (using Joomla! 2.5)
- Graphic design: in order to ensure that our newsletters, annual reports, social media, website and other documents look their best, we would
- MS Excel: keeping our information in order is very important - whether it's financial spreadsheets or monitoring and evaluation information - as this helps us to stay effective and allows us to ensure that we have the information we need.
- Translation (from English to Spanish): we strive to be a fully bilingual organisation (a work which is still in progress) and part of this includes ensuring that our publications are available in both languages.
- Photography/video: in order to ensure that our newsletters, annual reports, social media and website look their best, we need to ensure that we have high quality, up-to-date images that accurately reflect our work.
Also, once you've worked here a little, you may be able to suggest ideas for improving our practices - we are willing to learn! Through these roles you would be indirectly helping all the projects we support. Many of these roles can be part-time, so volunteers can combine this work with some part-time work on one of our 'front line' social projects.
Whilst there can be some flexibility in hours, our office hours are 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm from Monday - Friday. Volunteers are requested to commit 20 hours per week (although this could be split between more than one project), and working hours can be coordinated upon arrival (flexible).
Office volunteers must bring their own laptop for the work. We don't have any extra computers! There is wifi internet connection in the office.
- Spanish Level to Start Project: No Spanish needed, except for translation role, where native Spanish speakers are preferred (although those with an advanced level of Spanish will also be considered)
- Native English speaker or a very advanced level of English
- Time Commitment: Min. 1 month
- Minimum Age: 21 years
- Website volunteers should be familiar with Joomla! 2.5
- Graphic Design volunteers should be familiar with InDesign and/or Illustrator
- Some experience in administration in business or the volunteer or charity sector, an advantage, but not essential
- Have the energy and enthusiasm to work with potential volunteers from around the world and the volunteers already here in Peru.
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers