Passionate about education? Become a Study Buddy in Oakdale!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CommonBond Communities
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
3872 Granada Way North
One-on-one tutoring is the best kind of educational support for students who need it. Our Study Buddies program is designed to meet that widespread need by providing a structured, academic-focused program in which each youth and tutor are specifically matched. Volunteers who can commit to this program get the satisfaction of knowing they truly are playing a meaningful role in supporting the success of a young person.
What do Study Buddy Tutors do?
- Work 1:1 with a matched student 1.5 hours each week for the duration of the academic school year (the commitment is at least 1 academic year, although many pairs stay matched for multiple years)
- Strengthen the student’s academic skills by tutoring them through provided activities as well as general homework
- Build a positive relationship with the student to support their social and emotional development
- Work as a team with staff to help create and maintain a safe and supportive environment
What are we looking for in a Study Buddy Tutor?
- Commitment to regular weekly attendance
- Enthusiasm for helping young people learn
- Ability to assist with academics
- Strong positive role-modeling skills
- Proactive communication with program staff about questions, concerns, and scheduling
- Interest in working with students from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and academic backgrounds in a housing-based setting
What are benefits to and supports for Study Buddy Tutors?
- Orientation and training provided prior to program start
- On-site guidance, encouragement, and coaching from CommonBond staff
- Relevant ongoing trainings during the academic year
- Experience in working with diverse groups of youth and supporting their math, literacy, social and life skills
Volunteers can choose the Tuesday early session (4 - 5:30 PM) or the Tuesday later session (5:30 - 7 PM).