Times of day
1276 N Milwaukee Ave
Description of Role
Field Trip Aides support students as they engage in exciting writing activities, from generative memoir prompts to creating stories from pictures. Field Trip Aides help students with ideas, answer questions, encourage them to add more elements (like detail, action, and dialogue), and of course offer lots of praise for their amazing writing. Additionally, we often ask Field Trip Aides to do the writing exercises alongside the students so they can model what needs to be done and act as inspiration.
- Work with small groups of youth during field trips within the 826 Chicago facility
- Assist with writing steps using age appropriate language and techniques
- Manage use of materials (scissors, glue, writing instruments) for safety
- Attend meeting 30 minutes prior to Field Trip for check in and attendance
- Ability to manage groups of 4 - 6 youth independently
- Ability to engage youth and lead conversations
- Experience working with children and writing is a plus, but not a requirement
- Imagination and excitement!
- A love of writing is a plus but not required
- Field Trips are Tuesdays - Fridays, from 9:15 am - 12:15 pm. (Some trips may go until 1:15 pm)
- 8 - 10 Volunteers are needed to successfully run each field trip.
How To Apply
In order to sign-up, we ask you to take the following three steps:
- Fill out a short volunteer application at 826CHI. This application can be found at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form. As a part of this application, you will select a date to attend an hour-and-a-half New Volunteer Orientation at 826CHI, 1276 N. Milwaukee Ave, 60622.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation session. During this meeting, 826CHI staff will fill you in on all the specifics of programming and volunteering. To complete the application process, you will also be asked to fill out just a smidge more paperwork and a required background check.
- Sign-up for volunteer activities on our website. Once your background check has been approved, we will send you a welcome email with a link to our online volunteer calendar where you can sign up for opportunities as they fit your schedule. From this point on you will receive bi-weekly volunteer opportunities email highlighting upcoming events.