A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Medical Director Position Summary:
Unique volunteer opportunity to join a fast growing international medical humanitarian NGO, Global Outreach Doctors “GoDocs” to shape the direction of a organization that has already completed 22 global missions in less than 3 years since inception. This virtual position is for a qualified individual based in North America.
The volunteer Medical Director(s) is responsible for providing medical direction and administration:
Overseeing all medical activities across all supported Missions ensuring delivery of high quality of care for all patients through training, staff mentorship, supervision and adherence to SOPs and clinical practice guidelines.
Shaping the overall direction of the GoDocs volunteer medical team. This includes, among other duties reviewing all medical volunteer applications and interviewing all physicians and mid-level providers.
Supervising the lead RN in reviewing and interviewing all nurses, nurse practitioners and paramedics.
Providing executive team leadership to the clinical staff. As of 2017, approximately 70% of the 230 global volunteer staff are medical providers.
Assisting the Board of Directors in recruitment of medical providers through marketing, direct outreach, and referral networking.
Establishing positive relationships with domestic and international medical communities by coordinating with humanitarian governing entities, foreign medical organizations as well as partners.
Attend humanitarian and med- ical conferences, forums and related society events and functions.
Assisting with implementing partner applications, grant applications and revenue generation to support the donation or purchase of medical volunteer supplies.
The Medical Director reports to the President/Founder in cooperation with the (future) Executive Director. Growth potential for the right individual after a successful tenure as Medical Director includes board of director position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management:
• Oversees GoDocs medical operations to efficiently and effectively deliver quality clinical services.
• Participates in staff need assessment, interviewing, and induction of new staff.
• Sets health/clinical performance targets and staff appraisal and addressing concerns of volunteers under his/her supervision.
• Supports the operations of the programs at each Mission to ensure effi- cient service delivery.
• Participates in the financial growth of GoDocs by contributing once a year to the general fund in an amount commiserate with their financial ability.
• Self funds their own mission travel when airline partnership funds are un- available.
• Collaborates with the Board of Directors to establish specific global region missions who’s population would benefit from GoDocs services and coor- dinating such outreach.
• Prepare reports for the Board of Directors. Clinical Responsibilities:
• Ensures that standard quality of clinical services is delivered at all GoDocs supported sites.
Promotes the implementation of standard operating procedures for all ac- tivities relating to good clinical practice
• Monitors and leads the development of treatment work plans for all Mis- sions.
• Conducts medical training, safety and quality assurance activities.
• Participates and directs provider and medical care team meetings.
• Establishes linkages with referral entities such as pharmacy, dental care and mental health resources to expand GoDoc partnerships or incorporate a wider scope of GoDoc in-house services.
• Assists GoDoc’s lead Integrative medical provider in coordination of med- ical services during missions. Integrative medical providers include: acupuncturists, naturopaths and homeopaths.
• Provides periodic comprehensive support supervision reports .
The Medical Director’s physician duties include performing as an active member of the medical team and/or as field medical director; coordinating other provider activities; interviewing patients to obtain history, performing physical examination, ordering lab and other tests, prescribing medications and treatments, performing medical procedures, documenting all patient contact on the medical record.
• Provides technical leadership and mentorship to staff to ensure their continuous growth and learning.
Education, Knowledge, Skill, and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the educational qualification, knowledge, skill, and experience requested:
Skill providing excellent patient care and support; excellent written and verbal communication with individuals from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds.
Ability to work effectively with managers, co-workers, members of the pub- lic and professional groups.
Experience and interest in internal and external communications, especially within the development, government and political environment.
Ability demonstrate and teach others ethical behaviors.
Ability to receive constructive feedback including evaluation of provider’s productivity and practice attributes.
Minimum of 5 years international medical/health service experience re- quired with a sound knowledge of basic medical disciplines.
Must be a Medical Doctor from a recognized institution. A Masters in Public Health will be a distinct advantage.
Current licensure as an MD/DO to practice in the State of their work locations by the State Board of Medical Examiners.
No medical license suspension or revocation.
Current DEA, DPS, CPR (ACLS preferred) certification.
Valid Driver’s License and current passport valid for at least 6 months from application date .
Must have hands-on experience in planning and budgeting.
Experience in quality management and assurance practices desired.
Must have hands-on experience in monitoring health programs/projects
Must have good leadership skills which should be evident in past job roles.
Sound program management skills.
Must have excellent written/oral communication skills with English as first language.
Must have ability and willingness to travel.
Send CV and cover letter to Will@globaloutreachdoctors.org
How To Apply
Please review or website https://www.globaloutreachdoctors.org/ and forward your cover letter and CV to Will@globaloutreachdoctors.org