415 Michigan Avenue Northeast
District of Columbia
The Services Access Team Member is a Catholic young adult aged 21-35 who will serve with The Father McKenna Center (fathermckennacenter.org), a local nonprofit striving to “accompany and care for men facing homelessness and families struggling with poverty” in underserved communities within the shadow of the US Capitol.
The responsibilities of the Services Access Team Member include:
DC Service Corps volunteers build a foundation for a lifelong commitment to social activism and their Catholic faith through a meaningful year of service in Washington, DC. Volunteers dedicated to direct service are placed with partner non-profit agencies to work directly with vulnerable communities.
Both volunteers serving in the community and those in the FMS office live in intentional community, pray together, and strive to be witnesses to justice and peace. Leadership training, professional development, mentoring, faith formation, and educational seminars inspired by the Catholic Social Justice tradition round out this transformative experience.
- Providing direct assistance to meet the needs of men experiencing homelessness
- Serving low-income families through the daily food pantry
- Welcoming men experiencing homelessness to the Center and connecting them to programs and meals
- Listening, responding to and encouraging the men to engage with case management team
- Collaborating with staff to support case management and social media initiatives
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team to meet the needs of the community served
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, including those who may struggle with mental illness and experiences of trauma
- Sensitivity to the needs of those experiencing homelessness and economic poverty
- Commitment to finding long-term solutions to end homelessness while also attending to the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness
- Ability to pass a background check
- Counseling or social work background helpful, but not required
To apply: See application and instructions on the FMS website: franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
Please apply using the website link provided