A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
1200 12th Avenue South
Human Resources services are essential to the success of nonprofits. However, many nonprofits lack the capacity, resources, and knowledge to provide these services to assist their staffs and help achieve their missions. You can help by contributing your human resources skills and experience to help boost the capacity of local nonprofits while also enhancing your own consulting skills.
501 Commons provides high quality, affordable consulting, coaching and training services to nonprofits, schools, and public agencies thanks to a corps of skilled volunteers who put their expertise to good use. As an HR consultant with 501 Commons you can help support nonprofits on projects such as:
• Developing effective selection and recruitment process
• Assisting a nonprofit in recruiting staff members
• Conduct compensation study and advise the organization on equitable and responsible remuneration for staff
• Reviewing and updating employee handbook for compliance with federal and state law while being aligned to an organization’s mission, vision and culture.
• Creating a thoughtful performance management system
The Service Corps, a program of 501 Commons, is dedicated to connecting the skills and expertise of volunteer consultants with organizations in need of planning and support. Volunteers are in an on-call “pool” of professionals whom we contact when a specific project calls for their skill set. You decide if the project and timing are of interest to you. If it’s not the right time, we place you back in the pool to await the next opportunity.
While the requirements of each project vary, on average consultants can expect to serve 10-12 hours per month for 2-4 months.
As a service corps member, you will:
• Access our resource library, and professional development workshops
• Learn new skills applicable to personal and professional situations
• Apply your background and expertise towards supporting the nonprofit community
For more information please visit www.501Commons.org and click on "Engage" or contact Gillian Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org