A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1945 SE Water Ave
Summary of Position: The Curium in the Center for Innovation is OMSI's newest exhibit, designed for children aged 4-8. The Curium features a number of rotating activities, which allow early explorations of science, art, engineering, and design process skills, including but not limited to Bernoulli blowers, a sound wall, and Imagination Playground blocks. Curium volunteers assist education staff in the maintenance of the Curium, support parents and children while they experience activities and exhibits, and help to ensure the safety of our youngest visitors and their families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Interact with a wide age range of visitors to help them explore rotating activities.
· Share accurate science and museum information with guests.
· Maintain ongoing safety and cleanliness procedures.
· Communicate any issues or concerns to appropriate staff members.
· Strong communication, customer service, and problem-solving skills.
· Interest and/or experience in early childhood education, child development, and play.
· Ability to teach and to model adult-child interactions for positive early learning experiences.
· Must be able to bend and stoop as needed to maintain integrity, appearance, and safety of the area.
· Self-directed and possesses ability to take initiative.
Knowledge and Skills
· Eager to present science process and content in an engaging way to young children.
· Interest in early childhood education and child development; ability to learn and communicate these topics to adult audiences.
· Must be dependable, punctual, and willing to commit to a regular schedule.
· Must present a professional personal appearance.
Education and Work Experience:
· Experience working with the public and/or young children highly desirable.
· Experience working with the public in formal or informal educational settings highly desired.
- Experience facilitating cognitive research-based demonstrations in an early childhood education center
- Witness children’s joy in discovery first-hand.
· Gain free admission to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
· Upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service, gain eligibility for an OMSI Family Membership.
· Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
· The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.