Part-Time Volunteer Coordinator - AmeriCorps Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Latin American Coalition
Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
4938 Central Ave.
The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with the Volunteer Manager and program staff of the Coalition to ensure that volunteers are recruited, supported, and trained appropriately. The Volunteer Coordinator will also develop avenues to promote volunteerism in the community we serve. This is a part-time AmeriCorps Member position that requires approximately 16 hours per week in the offices of the Latin American Coalition in Charlotte, NC.
WHAT IS THE AMERICORPS ACCESS PROGRAM? AmeriCorps ACCESS members help immigrant and refugee communities gain better access to human services, become economically self-sufficient, and build bridges of understanding with mainstream communities. The ACCESS program is a one-year commitment to learn, serve, and earn a small monthly stipend and an education award while performing community service. Members must commit to at least 900 hours of service over a one-year period (September 2018 – August 2019). In exchange for their service, members receive a small stipend of $6,866 divided into monthly payments, and an education award of $2,960.00 upon completion. Members must participate in all AmeriCorps meetings, trainings, and service projects in Greensboro, NC. Other benefits of the ACCESS program include: interpreter training for bilingual members, student loan forbearance, interest accrual payment from the Corporation for National and Community Service, and mileage reimbursement for travel to training.
· Contact volunteers within one week of receiving volunteer application to schedule orientation, identify program fit, schedule training sessions, establish a rapport, and identify a schedule that works well both for the volunteer and La Coalición.
· Understand all programmatic volunteer needs and functions to identify a potential volunteer’s best fit in the organization.
· Conduct off-site volunteer recruitment. This includes attending pre-established community events, presenting to university and high school classes, social groups, and corporate affiliate groups about the Coalition’s work and how to become a volunteer, identifying new avenues for volunteer recruitment in the community, and adding these events to the volunteer recruitment calendar.
· Conduct periodic volunteer information sessions in English and Spanish at the Latin American Coalition or at other locations in the community. This includes distributing promotional materials in the community well in advance, advertising (via public service announcements) in Spanish-language newspapers, reserving and setting up room space, creating/editing the organization’s recruitment Prezi (a presentation software), and giving a tour of the Coalition’s facilities.
· Follow up with all information session attendees within one week.
· Conduct orientations for all new volunteers.
· Offer training support to new volunteers, as needed.
· Maintain communication with volunteers and interns often to ensure that the needs of volunteers have been met as well as the needs of La Coalición.
· Design training manuals for all volunteer positions, as necessary.
· All recruitment, retention, and stewardship activities will be supervised and approved by the Volunteer Manager.
· Schedule volunteer shifts and ensure that all volunteers are recording their hours accordingly.
· Update and maintain volunteer database.
· Periodically meet with staff to discuss new volunteer needs.
· Organize volunteer appreciation events.
· Update all volunteer materials (i.e. applications, manuals, and orientation documents) as necessary.
· Attend all regularly scheduled staff meetings and training.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Both steps must be completed to be considered. Positions are filled on a first come, first served basis.
1. Visit http://bit.ly/1fa1Z9q to complete and submit the AmeriCorps-ACCESS program application paperwork.
2. Additionally, send your resume and cover letter stating why you want to join the AmeriCorps ACCESS program and serve at the Latin American Coalition to firstname.lastname@example.org.