A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
2610 University Ave W, Ste. 450
Prepare + Prosper and its volunteers work with low- to moderate-income people to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, products, and coaching, and by changing systems to create economic opportunity. In 2017, 532 volunteers prepared taxes for 12,648 people who received $24.7 million in refunds, and 984 people saved $1.54 million of their refunds.
What will I be doing as a TAX PREPARER?
The individual tax preparer works one-on-one with Prepare + Prosper (P+P) customers to prepare state and federal tax returns. By doing this they help the customer access important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Preparers also serve as a trusted (and free) resource, ensuring customers file correctly.
Role and responsibilities:
- Prepare state and federal tax returns using tax software called TaxSlayer
- Direct appropriate customers to on-site financial services
- Work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality service to customers
- Maintain customer confidentiality, providing as much privacy as possible
- Knowledge of basic income tax preparation and meet one of the following criteria:
- Experience filing your own tax return
- Taken a tax law or income tax accounting course at the college level
- Work in the accounting field
- Ability to effectively communicate and engage with customers
- Computer proficient
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
Timeline and Commitment:
- November or December 2018: Attend one volunteer info session
- December - January: Attend 20 – 22 hours of in-person and online classroom training, and pass open-book IRS certification exam
- January 26 - April 15, 2019: Volunteer one, four hour shift per week and impact the lives of your community!
Locations: P+P operates 8 tax sites across the Twin Cities metro area, with locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington and Hopkins. Volunteers select a tax site that is convenient to work, home, or school. Our main office is in St. Paul off of University Avenue near the intersection University Avenue West & Highway 280.
INTERESTED? Sign up for an info session here:
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested in joining our team? Join us for an info session to learn more! Sign up here: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1111754443