Volunteer Secretary for Board of Directors at an Innovative Education Nonprofit
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Green Generations Inc.
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
686 10th Street
Green Generations, Inc. (GG), an innovative education nonprofit, is seeking a responsible and enthusiastic individual to join our passionate and dedicated volunter team as secretary. We provide a curriculum based on raising self esteem and mindfulness.
Since our pilot year in 2011, we've served nearly 1,000 children through partnerships with schools in underserved, high-risk neighborhoods in New York City. We currently operate in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan. Our goals include expanding our presence across the city to positively impact more children. To accomplish this, we are seeking enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about supporting self-esteem building and life-skills education to help us grow our nonprofit organization by joining our team.
Mission: To nurture and empower children with emotional-health and life-skills education.
Vision: For every child to love who they are, thrive in their communities, and contribute to a more just and compassionate world.
What We Do
Our in-school and after-school programs are based on an innovative and unique, five-pillar curriculum: emotional well-being, nutritional empowerment, environmental stewardship, ethical & compassionate leadership, and gratitude & celebration. Our approach provides children with the self-esteem and resilience necessary to confront and conquer life's challenges.
Our long-term vision is to expand the reach and scope of our workshops citywide and across the nation.
The Secretary will attend all meetings, record all votes and minutes of proceedings, keep a calendar of meetings and events, and give notice (reminders) to the Board of Directors or other relevant team members at the request of the Executive Director or Board Chair, under whose supervision he or she will be. He or she will be the offical keeper of the seal of the corporation, which he or she will deliver only when authorized by a resolution of the Board of Directors.
- Attend three annual Green Generations (GG) Board of Director meetings (one of which is an all day retreat on a fall weekend day);
- Record minutes of meetings and ensure accuracy, availability, and approval;
- Ensure timely, proper notification is given of directors’, members’, and executive officer meetings, as specified in the bylaws;
- Assist with preparation and dissemination of materials (such as agendas and board packets) for meetings;
- Ensure effective management of the organization’s records (including founding and governing documents, insurance policies, contracts, committee lists, and other official records); and
- Support the work of the Board of Directors in other areas when required.
- A desire to make a difference and contribute to a better world;
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the position;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Access to a computer and high-speed Internet connection;
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to keep accurate records; and
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) speaking skills are a plus.
- Expected to commit on average 5 hours per month to GG work; and
- Commit to a one- or two-year term, commencing the day of election at a Board of Directors meeting.
- Experience operating in a growing non-profit organization;
- Assume a key role in developing and impacting the organization; and
- Be a part of an active community sharing similar interests to your own.
Please note this position may be either a board officer position, or a board member position, which would require a greater commitment and level of experience. See out Idealist listing for a description: https://www.idealist.org/en/volunter-opportunity/39ef7d09404a414c83d779e1bc3d14fd-nonprofit-board-of-directors-volunteer-green-generations-inc-brooklyn?
How To Apply
Please send a current resume and brief statement of interest including your qualifications to Adrienne Heim, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Brook Jackson, Board Chair, at email@example.com on or before January 30, 2018.