Americorps VISTA Member - Fund Development & Outreach
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Literacy New Jersey
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
100 Menlo Park Dr.
Since 1979, Literacy New Jersey (formerly Literacy Volunteers of New Jersey) has been committed to strengthening New Jersey’s workforce, families and communities by ensuring that free, high quality literacy instruction is available to low literate adults in every New Jersey community.
Literacy New Jersey provides free instruction to adults who need help with reading, writing, math and speaking English. Trained volunteer tutors work with adults one-to-one or in small groups to help them improve their language and literacy skills so they can reach their life goals. Our students are at the lowest levels of literacy, including those who seek to learn English as a Second Language, improve their basic reading and writing skills, prepare to obtain their High School Equivalency diplomas, or become U.S. citizens.
Fund development and outreach are critical components of our ability to fulfill our mission and strengthen our adult literacy programs.
The VISTA member will:
1. Use current grants, prospects and the Foundation Center website; create a database and calendar of grant opportunities.
2. Organize grant language by topic in one master document to streamline the grant process and maximize efficiency.
3. Track growth in funding opportunities.
4. Work on an outreach plan that highlights student success. Collaborate with staff and volunteers to highlight student stories for social media, print media and grants. This will include a training component to help staff, volunteers and students share their stories.
5. Identify specific community sectors who should learn more about the literacy services and create a plan that can be replicated.
6. Create mechanisms to share all learned information through the creation of new workshops at our annual, professional development conference and other trainings.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
- Strong interest in working in adult literacy .
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Possession of a driver’s license valid in New Jersey is required as the operation of a vehicle is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to maintain a poised and professional demeanor which includes sensitivity to cultural diversity, and to represent the program in a professional manner.
AmeriCorps VISTA Requirements:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided