Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
A non-profit organization Health&Help is looking for nurses and paramedics, to volunteer at the village Chuinajtajuyup, Totonicapan area (Guatemala).
Health&Help is a non-profit clinic that provides basic medical services in the fields of pediatrics, preventive care, health education, and obstetrics and gynecology. We prescribe and distribute medications, perform minor surgeries under local anesthesia, consult pregnant women and deliver babies, supervise several medical programs on child malnutrition, birth control, type I diabetes and pregnancy care, as well as give educational lectures on hygiene and healthy diet.
Our clinic operates using the first aid station model, providing medical care to over 20,000 people. Our operation hours are Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm, and Saturday, 8 am to 12 am. ER is open 24/7.
You will be expected to see patients in the clinic on a daily basis, working along with volunteers, and handle paperwork. You should be comfortable making medical decisions and dealing with cases of different levels of complexity.
A desired candidate is:
- Expected to stay at least 3 months (ideally up to a year);
- Tolerant and accepting of different cultures and lifestyles;
- Experienced in low resources situations (remote locations, shortage of supplies);
- Independent and adaptable to new unfamiliar circumstances;
- Always ready to help and skilled in his/her own field;
- Attentive to details and goal-oriented;
- Kind and caring;
- Making patients the priority, and knows how to make them comfortable;
- Confident at handling emergencies and critical situations;
- A team player, who respects other members of the multiprofessional team;
- Comfortable working on several tasks at once;
- A trained professional, who speaks Spanish (B2) and/or English/Russian.
The responsibilities include:
- Examining patients on site and in the field, helping the physicians to run clinic operations;
- Escorting patients to their houses and making home visits;
- Performing necessary procedures, such as injections, immunizations, CPR, suturing, ingrown nails removal, draining abscesses;
- Performing tests, such as pregnancy, blood glucose, hemoglobin, STDs, HIV, Type A and B Hepatitis;
- Taking vital signs, and using EKG, doppler, spirometry;
- Distributing medications and purchasing medical supplies;
- Handling medications and medical instruments (counting, sterilizing, sorting donations);
- Keeping documentation in order;
- Being a facilitator between the volunteers and local communities, solving problems and neutralizing conflicts;
- Preparing and giving educational lectures on public health for locals, both children and adults, putting together handout materials, posters.
- Shared accommodations and three meals a day free of charge;
- A letter of recommendation upon request;
- A friendly team of professionals;
- An opportunity to develop your skills and discover more about yourself and other people and cultures;
- Endless love and gratitude from the locals, fellow volunteers and all over the world;
- A 6-8 hours working day, 6 days a week.
To apply for this position, please send your CV in English to email@example.com
For more career opportunities please visit: https://he-he.org/en/volunteer
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers