Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
249 East 118th Street
Earth Law Center (ELC) is a 501c3 non-profit seeking an Ocean Policy Associate. Earth Law Center works to transform the law to recognize and protect nature’s inherent rights to exist, thrive and evolve. Through this work, we envision a future in which humans and nature flourish together.
ELC’s Ocean Rights Program aims to not only establish protection for coastal communities and marine ecosystems, but to ensure these areas are fully protected and effectively managed. ELC’s objectives to ensure this outcome include:
Objective 1: Creating a holistic and ocean rights-based model legislation for ocean law and policy.
Objective 2: Establishing marine protected areas and sanctuaries, and securing legal rights for these areas.
Objective 3: Passing rights of nature laws in coastal communities, focusing on sustainability and proactive management.
Objective 4: Ensuring international treaty laws reflect the inherent rights of the ocean (such as through the Marine Biodiversity Treaty for the High Seas and Beyond, currently under negotiation).
· Research and analysis of the current framework (law and policy) for marine protected area governance, to be compiled into a white paper for support of a new framework
· Assisting with the drafting of a new holistic and rights-based framework for marine protected areas
· Assist in the creation and development of Campaigns, specifically legal rights for the Patagonian Sea. This includes research, strategic planning and outreach
· Administrative assistance leading up to the International Marine Protected Area Conference in Chile September 4th-8th
· Develop and execute ocean program goals, strategies and activities
· This role will be remote (if based in New York, Denver or San Francisco, face to face meetings with ELC staff possible)
· Minimum 20 hours per week to start immediately; end date flexible
· This is an unpaid position
Degree, experience and/or expertise in environmental law and policy; Experience researching and analyzing law and policy; Ability to manage projects and deadlines remotely; Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- International Volunteers