It is Difficult for Seniors to Go to Doctor’s Appointments by Themselves – Encore’s Volunteer Escort Program – Our Seniors NEED YOU!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Encore Community Services
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Encore’s Senior Escort Program is a volunteer program designed to give much needed assistance and support to aging members of our community. It is difficult and sometimes impossible for seniors to travel by themselves to necessary appointments such as doctors and dentist appointments, and on necessary errands such as food shopping. The Senior Escort program makes these crucial trips possible. Otherwise, due to physical frailty and disability, vision or hearing impairment, and cognitive problems, our senior neighbors are forced to cancel their trips - which leads to rapid decline in health and quality of life.
Your role as a volunteer in this program is incredibly valuable and rewarding. Senior program participants are so grateful for your time and help. It is a simple but vital service.
Things to know:
· As a volunteer, you will meet the senior at their front door, accompany them to their appointment or errand, and then accompany them back to their home.
· Trips typically take 1-3 hours, depending on the circumstance.
· Helping the older person lock and unlock his/her residence
· Helping the older person with physical strains such as assistance on stairs and carrying/pushing the grocery cart
1. Commitment of at least 6 months
2. Weekly or by-weekly commitments, preferred
3. Successful criminal background check & reference check
4. Flexible hours Monday-Friday.
5. Attend program orientation & training
6. Sensitive and empathic with the senior population
Schedule: The program is not a fixed schedule. Requests come in every week, at different times and days Monday-Friday. You will escort seniors based on your availability!
How To Apply
Please email Emma Anderson, LMSW at email@example.com expressing your interest in the program.