Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
English is the most spoken language in the world. Its importance lies in its practical use; knowledge of English allows access to multiple benefits such as the possibility of continuing studies abroad, access to jobs that provide socio-economic improvements, the ability to communicate with people around the world, and access to updated information in real time.
English is a compulsory course in almost every country in the world, with Peru not being an exception. However, in Peru, the State considers it to be compulsory only for secondary school students and not for primary school students. The implementation of English courses depends on budget, qualified personnel, and materials that the State has not yet designated.
For this reason, NG Peru has created the "English School" program aimed at boys and girls at the primary level with the purpose of developing their communication skills in a second language and preparing them to interact on equal terms in the current, globalized world.
We are currently recruiting international volunteers to team up with our local volunteers for our 2018 “English School Program” in Peru beginning in March.
- Awaken interest in boys, girls, and adolescents at the primary level in English as a foreign language
- Develop student’s communication skills to read, understand, write, listen, speak and express themselves correctly.
- Acquire the elements of a conversation in English and encourage the habit of reading books in English.
- International experience working with worldwide volunteers
- Teaching experience
- Strong curriculum provided
- Weekly meeting with all of the staff
- Development of language skills
- Development of cultural awareness
- Home stay experience with a Peruvian family
- Fun weekend activities
Description of Work
- Meet up with all volunteers and directors every Friday to plan the lessons for the following week
- Teach Monday through Thursday, 7:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Follow set teaching schedule
Volunteering in the “English School” Program
As we had the meeting on Friday, you know exactly what you are going to do. Monday through Thursday you take the public transportation with other volunteers to the school. Together with the other, Peruvian volunteer you conduct a class of 15 to 20 students. First, you start with a warm-up activity then proceed with the development of the class. Click here for a video.
Our volunteers are fluent in English and come from all over the world.
- Enthusiastic about teaching children & adults.
- Can be creative in the classroom.
- Loves traveling and adventures as much as we do.
- Can volunteer for at least one month.
- Open to experiencing new cultures.
Helpful But Not Essential:
- Basic Spanish speaking skills.
- Prior experience teaching children.
The accommodation fee is $550 USD and includes food, housing, pick-up from the local airport/bus station, and administrative costs.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
A. Complete an application form HERE
B. A Skype interview - short conversation for us to respond to your questions and to tell you more about the organization in a friendly environment.
C. Evaluation by the Directors - we review your application based on our current volunteer needs
D. Acceptance into the program - we’ll notify you by email and give you upcoming dates for orientation, etc.