Live-in Volunteer - Case Manager/ESL Coordinator
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Oakland Catholic Worker (Obrero Católico de Oakland)
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
4848 International Blvd.
Position available for a full-time live-in staff person interested in focusing primarily on guest accompaniment (case management) and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. Accompaniment responsibilities include helping guests set and achieve goals related to housing, employment, health, legal issues, and education by advocating for guests, accompanying them to appointments, researching resources, and helping them plan strategies for achieving their goals. ESL responsibilities include recruiting, selecting and supervising volunteer teachers; teaching classes; maintaining records; planning graduations; and updating curriculum as needed.
The position is somewhat flexible and can be adjusted to the talents, interests, and goals of the staff person. Possible secondary responsibilities could include working with our food programs; managing our newsletter, website, and social media; outreach and advocacy; fundraising; bookkeeping, data-entry, and finances; volunteer coordination; and maintenance of the house, yard, and garden.
We are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible with flexible start date.
- Opportunity to serve some of the most vulnerable in our East Oakland neighborhood and be immersed in a diverse and caring community of staff, volunteers, guests, and neighbors.
- Grow in understanding of issues that affect immigrants and participate in efforts to create change.
- Full-time staff receive free room and board and a stipend of $300 per month.
- Applicants must be compassionate, responsible, patient, organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and able to work in a cross-cultural setting.
- Strong Spanish proficiency required.
- Willing to commit to working with us for a year or more.
- Experience with or knowledge of case management, the immigrant community, social services, the immigration legal system, advocacy, living in intentional community, and/or the Catholic Worker movement is helpful.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
How To Apply
Contact us at (510) 533-7375 or email@example.com for more information or to apply.