Nyingma Institute Residential Work-Practice at a Buddhist Center
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Tibetan Nyingma Institute
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1815 Highland Place
Interested in working to benefit others while exploring your own mind and awareness? Join a six-month residential program that integrates spiritual practice with meaningful work.
The program includes:
- Daily morning reading and meditation sessions
- A supportive and beautiful environment where you can engage Buddhism, meditation, and meaningful work
- Access to a full range of evening classes on meditation, Kum Nye Tibetan Yoga, Buddhist studies, Tibetan language and more
- Housing in a community setting, in the foothills of Berkeley with a spectacular view
- Vegetarian meals, created with organic ingredients whenever possible
- A small living stipend reimbursement
Work-practice opportunities include:
- All aspects of managing and running a small retreat center; we are a volunteer-run organization that is also an intentional community
- Responding to student inquiries and handling administrative matters at the Front Desk
- Cleaning, construction or gardening
- Promotions, fundraising, and outreach for retreats and events
- Cooking vegetarian meals for community members and retreatants to enjoy
- We try to find a best fit your skills, but ask that participants adopt a flexible, as-needed attitude about work-practice assignments
You will learn:
- How spiritual practice can be integrated with work and daily life
- How to deepen your awareness through investigating mind, body, emotion, and thoughts
- What it means to engage a Bodhisattva path of action through service
Located in Berkeley, California, the Nyingma Institute offers retreats, workshops, and courses in seven fields of study. We seek residents who are interested in committing for six-months or longer as part of our live-in staff. We do not require that you be Buddhist, only that you are open and respectful.
Please note that this is a full-time, intensive program with 6 days of structured work-practice, and 1 day of free time per week.
Nyingma Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit, volunteer-run organization that offers programs to connect you with your inner resources, expand well-being, and offer a path of wisdom. We also have a direct connection to cultural preservation work via the printing and distribution of over 3.5 million sacred Tibetan-language texts over the last 30 years.
To learn more, please visit www.nyingmainstitute.com/volunteer
- Stipend Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers