Media and Communications volunteer in International Development
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by GCP Foundation
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
GCP Foundation is an international development charity with a mission to eradicate energy poverty in Africa. We achieve these objectives by replacing harmful fossil fuels with renewable energy and advocate on climate change.
We are at a pivotal stage of our development, starting to gain more traction and really grow as an organisation. We are really keen to communicate with our supporters exactly what is going on month-by-month. We are looking for someone who can produce a regular newsletter, in an engaging and compelling manner based on what has been happening with our charity.
What you will do
· Ensuring the newsletter is sent out on a fixed date (to be agreed) each month
· Keeping up-to-date with the team, which includes attending the regular skype meeting, to develop content for the newsletter.
· Coordinating a newsletter plan and template which can be used each month.
· Requesting and coordinating the team to ensure any content needed from them is provided in a timely manner.
· Proof-reading and ensuring any content from team members fits with the GCP Foundation tone and voice.
· Writing own content for the newsletter in line with what is going on in the organisation.
· Working with others in communication team to grow the mailing list.
· Researching and/or attending training to improve the quality of the newsletter.
· Being creative and developing new ways of communicating with customers/supporters.
· Assisting with general administration including answering emails and calls, preparing resources, keeping clear records of spending and reporting back to manager.
- Database management skills.
- Marketing materials and proposal preparation.
- High touch/hands-on communication skills.
- Confidence in communication.
- Understanding the non-profit sector.
· Confident self-starter.
· Proven successful written communications piece.
· Proficient in writing and proof-reading.
· Committed to providing the minimum output of one newsletter per month.
· Committed to attending regular team skype meetings to develop content.
· Committed and able to dedicate the equivalent of four hours each month to the role.
· Interested in our causes and ethos around eradicating energy poverty and the environment.
· Proven written communication skills.
· Proven IT skills.
· Team working experience.
· Confidence to work on own initiative with minimum supervision but knowing when to consult with and inform others.
· Organised, able to set and meet own targets and goals.
· Happy to work from home.
- Strong undergraduate academic record in Marketing, Advertising, Communication or related degree
- Africa experience
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Entrepreneurial and Adaptable to change
- Previous Africa or development related working experience preferred
- Experience in fast-paced and multi-cultural working environment
All candidates must have access to the internet.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and short note as to why you would like to work with us, your experience in Africa or international development and understanding of the United Nation's SDGs.