The Computer Measurement Group Inc. (CMG) is a membership organization of IT professionals committed to digital transformation initiatives and best practices, including the measurement and management of computer systems and networks from a performance and capacity perspective to drive ongoing change. CMG is an invaluable resource for IT professionals, helping them to keep on top of new and innovative technologies and trends. For more information, please see CMG’s website at www.cmg.org.
The Board will support the work of CMG and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by CMG’s Managing Director, the Board-Managing Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Managing Director as s/he develops and implements CMG’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by CMG for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings
- Approving CMG’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; staying informed of and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Managing Director
- Assisting the Managing Director and the Chair of the Nominating Committee in identifying and recruiting new potential board members
- Partnering with the Managing Director and other Board Members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out
- Ensuring CMG’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities CMG serves
- CMG Board Members will consider the financial health of CMG a priority and assist with introductions and cultivation of sponsorships and partnerships, in addition to personally soliciting memberships and participation in other revenue-generation activities that reflect that priority.
- CMG’s Board Members will serve a two-year term, to be eligible for re-appointment. See the bylaws of CMG for complete information. Board meetings will be held according to an annually prepared calendar, and committee meetings will be held as called by Committee Chairs.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about technology, CMG’s mission and who wishes to gain valuable volunteer and leadership experience.
Selected board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, academia, or another sector that allows them to contribute to the specific efforts of CMG. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board-member candidates.
Requirements of Board Members include:
- Membership in good standing of CMG
- Commitment to carry out duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Commitment to implementation of the strategic plan
- Attendance at regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Directors as required by CMG policies
- Service on a standing or ad hoc committee as requested by the Board Chair
- Service as an ambassador for CMG with introductions to and promotion of revenue-generating activities
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant leadership and accomplishments
- Commitment to adhering to Nonprofit law, the Articles of Incorporation, bylaws, and policies of CMG
- A commitment to and understanding of CMG’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Accomplishments based on savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Demonstrated personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for advancing the qualifications, experience, and careers of CMG’s beneficiaries, as well as the field of performance and capacity
- A history of contributing information and expressing points of view based on experience, knowledge, and facts
- A track record of understanding and incorporating the viewpoints of others
- Reputation for stating one’s convictions - and equally, committing to the majority decision when it is in conflict with one’s own stand
Service on CMG’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties, per policies of the Board.
Candidates for CMG’s Board of Directors should read the bylaws of CMG and committee charters for additional important information.