Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Do you like to bring glory to God by using the skills He has given you in a specific trade? Do you have well-rounded maintenance experience that enables you to perform a variety of tasks to maintain buildings and equipment?
JAARS is in need of skilled workers to help us maintain our various facilities and equipment on center so that we can continue to make Bible translation and language development possible. Could you become part of the team?
· This is a 1.0 FTE (40 hrs.) position for a volunteer or a staff person who raises support
· Must be able to work in the US
Maintain, inspect, repair, and perform skilled maintenance service on facilities and grounds.
· Perform a variety of skilled maintenance work requiring knowledge and experience in one or more skilled trades
· Install various items and/or system components of a complex nature
· Maintain facilities, tools, and equipment in safe, comfortable, and operating condition
· Inspect and perform routine repairs on machines, equipment, or structures
· Perform preventive maintenance on equipment and facilities
· Diagnose and resolve facility operational and/or safety concerns
· Test and/or troubleshoot to assess an item’s function and recommend repair or replacement
· Complete projects and work orders efficiently and record job tickets daily
· Guide general maintenance technicians in performing skilled trades to develop their knowledge and skills
· Be reliable with a keen eye for detail
· Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
· Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Experience and knowledge of operating equipment, precision measuring instruments, or electronic testing devices used in your specific trade
· Ability to perform job functions with appropriate materials, tool, methods, and equipment
· Flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances
· Skilled in the use of hand and electrical tools
· Knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems desired
· Ability to read blueprints/drawings and repair manuals
· Good organizational, time management, and follow up skills
· Very good communication and interpersonal skills
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry headquartered on a beautiful 500+ acre campus just south of Charlotte, NC. Our campus includes extensive training facilities, an airport, office and commercial facilities, guest housing, food services, recreational areas, health clinic, on-site childcare, and youth and family ministry support for staff and partners.
We are pleased to have more than five hundred people serving on our campus. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create a Culture of Innovation
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
There are many key opportunities at JAARS for you to help make Bible translation possible around the world. Volunteers are a crucial part of every department; over 50% of the staff are volunteers. We could not provide significant technical and logistical support services without people like YOU!
You will gain a new vision for missions and realize the lasting value of how your practical and technical skills are helping to transform lives around the world. Build meaningful and potentially lasting relationships with fellow volunteers and career staff. In the winter months, volunteers gather regularly for events such as breakfasts and game nights.
Volunteers can serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.
- · Proof of health insurance
- · Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- · Ages 14-17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- · Agreement with our Statement of Faith
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are available for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020