Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
The Policy Fellow works as part of Save The Bay’s Policy Department, with a specific focus on planning, research, and outreach to support strategic campaigns to protect the health and sustainability of San Francisco Bay habitats and wildlife and improve urban sustainability within Bay Area communities.
Scientists agree that San Francisco Bay needs 100,000 acres of tidal marsh to provide necessary habitat and ecosystem benefits for fish and wildlife. Yet today, less than half that amount exists. Save The Bay has led efforts to secure regional funding to increase the pace of wetlands restoration, playing a central role in the development and success of Measure AA in June 2016. Save The Bay is looking to build on that success and secure additional funding from the state and federal governments in the future.
The health of the Bay and our local communities depends on our region’s ability to develop in sustainable and equitable ways. We must begin designing our built environment to prevent trash and other pollution from flowing into the Bay. We will need to capture and reuse rainwater and recycle more of our wastewater to ease the strain on freshwater flows from the Delta. And we must support affordable housing and mass transit to improve quality of life for Bay Area residents.
The Policy Fellow’s key tasks are likely to include: evaluation and analysis of legislation and agency documents; outreach to, and collaboration, with partner organizations; drafting compelling content for our website; attending public meetings; developing online action alerts; and other assignments as needed.
- Interest in San Francisco Bay environmental issues and advocacy
- Ability to quickly digest policy information and research
- Strong research, analysis, and written communications skills
- Experience developing website content
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Proficient in standard office applications, including MS Office suite, Google Docs, etc
- Valid CA driver's license and clean driving record
- Clean background check
- Minimum commitment of at least 24 hours a week for 2-3 months (September-November/December)
- Training Provided
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please make sure to include the position title in the subject line.
Please review our website to find information on session dates and application periods for all of our Fellowship opportunities.