Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
HVK Children’s Foundation was registered as a nonprofit in Massachusetts in 2016, and became a federal recognized corporation in 2018. We are based in Worcester, MA and West Africa, Liberia. We aim to break barriers to socioeconomic and social determinant factors that pose as a harm to human development. Thus, we work in the fields of education, public health, and social work providing evidence-based services to low-income children and their families in Liberia. Our goal is to meet the challenging needs of women, children and families.
We are piloting a program with grade 5th students which will last for two years at 5 primary schools. We are building our program, 21st Century Success, around best practices of the Advanced Via Individual Determination (AVID) program as well as other programs. We believe AVID’s model fits the larger context of what we aim to accomplish in our education readiness program. Henceforth, we are looking for one or two qualified staff person (s) to volunteer their time to help design this program.
This position requires flexibility and work can be done virtually. Our goal is to provide an exceptional, informative and engaging program to improve reading, STEM, and character building among children at the schools we work with in Liberia.
Part I: 25%
- Liaise with partner schools in Liberia to understand the education style and how to develop a curriculum that models the national curriculum and other best practices
- Create a curriculum calendar to match school year in Liberia and based on the length of 21st Century Success
- Develop set of curricula to include Reading, STEM, Character building and basic preparation for the West African Examination Council (WAEC) for grades 5-7th students. Information about WAEC will be provided
- Design program using the WICOR method which stands for writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading
Part II: 35%
- Use the curriculum to develop lesson plans for the teachers in Liberia using ilessonReady
- Lesson plans should follow common core for both AVID and should consult the Liberian English, and STEM curriculum to develop plans for 21st Century Success
Part III: 40%
- Develop audio recordings/ modules with instructional objectives using presentation style (PowerPoint) to match curricula for training teachers in the program (can be done in steps)
- Develop train-the-teacher document and incorporate techniques for teachers to help all students learn in a low-income country
Completion of the job will be based on fulfilling these outcomes.
Responsibilities include working under limited supervision following standardized practices, methods, and maintaining a relationship with HVK and our partner school.
- Bachelor or Master degree preferred in a related education field: Primary or secondary education, Applied Psychology in Education, Global Education, Social Work with concentration in Education Development
- Degree should couple with expertise in curricula and lesson plan development, organization planning, and special program education planning
- Should have background working as a teacher at an in-school or after-school program
- Volunteered or worked for Teach for America, or for City Year would be a nice compliment (not required)
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in the field of education
- Exceptional content mastery and knowledge of current instructional theories and principles applicable to both student-led and instructor-led learning and teaching techniques
- Experience designing and leading education programs for primary level students from low-income background
- Development of creative and engaging training materials for primary and junior high audience, in a variety of formats well as a user-friendly guide
- Should be able to demonstrate proficiency in designing, building and deploying instructor e-learning modules.
- Good organization skills and time management skills; ability to be flexible and solve problems.
- Intermediate to advance knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel
How To Apply
What to do:
Please visit our website at www.hvkchildrensfoundation.org go to CAREERS and send us your RESUME, COVER LETTER, any CERTIFICATIONS related to the position.
WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY RESUME OR COVER LETTER SEND TO OUR EMAIL: YOU MUST USE THE WEBSITE.
Note: The interview will be face-to-face with our CEO and other staff members.