Non-Profit Marketing and Communications Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Resilience Advocacy Project
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
147 Prince Street
The Resilience Advocacy Project (RAP) is a NYC-based organization that trains youth to become leaders in the fight against poverty in their communities. Our social justice vision is of a society that enables all children to leverage their natural resilience to maximize their potential and achieve their dreams.
We are seeking a highly motivated, organized person to join our team as a Marketing Communications Volunteer (5-10 hours/week). The volunteer will report to the Senior Development Communications Associate, and will work:
· Assisting in the drafting of blog posts, social media posts, press releases and other communications documents
· Pitching RAP events and news to media outlets and working to generate coverage
· Editing and proofreading
· General research duties
· Assisting in the planning and execution of RAP's annual event, scheduled for Summer 2018
· Maintaining press contact database and administering distribution channels
· Assisting with multimedia production, including video tapings and photo shoots
· Other administrative duties as needed
Being a RAP volunteer gives you the unique opportunity to join the team of a small and dynamic Brooklyn-based nonprofit to tell the stories of RAP’s work with young people from under-resourced communities in NYC. To qualify you must be a person with:
· Interest in supporting young people from marginalized communities
· Flexibility: Our communications needs are often responsive to what’s happening around us. To be successful as a volunteer, you must enjoy a certain level of messiness!
· Creativity and passion: Nonprofit marketing is an art based in passion for the mission. The more creative minds work together to get the word out, the better!
· 100% follow through: You will need to be committed to attending each scheduled day, responsive to emails from RAP staff and program partners, and highly professional in your communications within and without the organization.
Ideally, volunteers will also have:
· Writing and/or graphic experience;
· Passion for social justice;
· Ability to distill and edit down complicated stories to be simple and powerful; and
· Drive to tell stories of NYC youth and help them tell their own stories.