A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
124 W Buffalo
Tompkins Learning Partners helps connect tutors with adults in the community who have significant literacy issues that stand in the way of their personal goals. It takes a unique and dedicated individual to work with adult learners over the course of many months and we are here to support our tutors with resources, expert teachers, and ongoing training opportunities. Together we can help members of our community reach their literacy goals, including improving their ability to read, write, perform basic math, use computers and obtain their High School Equivalency ("GED").
Adult Basic Education Tutor Requirements:
- Be available for tutoring for at least one year.
- Work with a student to establish, meet, and revise specific short-term and long-term goals.
- Meet with a small group or with individual students a minimum of 2 hours per week.
- Attend on-going training while matched with students or a group.
- Report cancellation of meeting to student and TLP office.
- For each meeting, sign in and out (and remind students to do the same) in the sign-in book at the TLP office.
- Keep TLP informed of progress by submitting monthly report forms by the 5th of the next month.
- Each month, sign up on a room assignment sheet.
If you are unable to meet these requirements or unsure of your continued availability, we have many other volunteer opportunities available. Please contact us to find out more!
Orientations and Trainings occur Quarterly - please contact to find out the next registration dates! The first step in the process will be an orientation and tutor training session, after which time those who have completed the training successfully will be matched with a student.
Tutors meet with students two hours per week at a mutually convenient time and place. Our offices at 124 W. Buffalo have many comfortable tutoring rooms, but meetings can take place at any convenient location such as a library, church, coffee shop, or community center.
Additional tutoring positions available include working with adult learners on English language learning and citizenship education. We are also happy to have office and library volunteers to help keep our facility in shape.
- Training Provided