School Assistant (AMERICORPS POSITION)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps--Boston
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps (NDMVA) is seeking a School Assistant to serve as a Full-time AmeriCorps Member at St. Rose School in Chelsea from January-July 2019.
The mission of St. Rose School, an urban Catholic institution in Chelsea, Massachusetts, is to affect positive change in our world by providing a secure environment where children, grades Pre-K through eight, are taught good values and strong academic skills. The dedicated faculty respect, uphold, and nurture thier traditions and a sense of community, which is strengthened by our great diversity. You can visit their website at http://www.strosechelsea.com/
The exact position description is still being developed, but the AmeriCorps Member is to serve as a general school assistant, helping with the younger grades (Pre-K though grade 3), in the after-school program, and with other duties as assigned.
We invite applications from individuals who are over 18 and have work experience or a college education. A high school diploma is required unless the applicant is enrolled in a GED program while serving and completes his or her GED by the end of the year of service.
Applicants should also possess:
The willingness to spend a year in the service of others.
Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to be flexible, adaptive, and work on a team.
U.S. citizenship or be a lawful permanent resident.
Commitment to serve as a full-time volunteer for 6-7 months.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- Living Allowance: Because Notre Dame- AmeriCorps is partnered with the Corporation for National and Community Service, we are able to offer our members a yearly living allowance which is distributed bi-weekly over the 11 months term. The pre-tax figure for January-July 2018-2019 is approximately $6,866.
- The Education Award: Upon completion of an 11 month service term, AmeriCorps members receive a taxable education award of $2,960 (approx.). The education award can be applied to qualified student loans or future education at a Title IV institution. To learn more about the education award and the National Service Trust, please visit AmeriCorps' page on the subject.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Members of NDA are eligible for forbearance of federal student loans during their term of service. This means that while a member is serving, he or she does not make payments on his or her qualifying loans. In addition, the National Trust will pay the interest that accrues on the loan at the end of the term of service.
- Community Housing Option: NDMVA Boston is able to offer a low-rent community housing option to NDMVA Members. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Optional Health Insurance: We provide optional healthcare while you serve with NDA. The health insurance is through a partnership with The Corps Network and Summit America. To learn more, visit the Summit America website.
- Child Care: NDA members may also be eligible for child care benefits.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
1. Complete and submit a full, two-part application:
- AmeriCorps Application Online (Search program name "Notre Dame" & select "Boston" from list)
- Complete a Notre Dame Supplemental Application Essay and Self-Reference Form (Submit via email to the Site Director, Gina Ndalima, at Boston@ndmva.org)
2. Submit one of the following Educational Records to email@example.com
- Transcript from most recent college or university
- Copy of high school diploma
- If working on GED, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
3. If selected, you will then be contacted by an NDMVA staff member for a preliminary interview.
4. Upon selection to serve, Members will be required to consent to a National Service Criminal History Check.