General Merchandiser/Customer Serice Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga
A few hours per week
1800 Appleby Line
Purpose: To carry out the stated purpose, “To use our knowledge, skills, community relationships, volunteers and other resources to create and promote safe and affordable home ownership options with the aim of alleviating the cycle of poverty within our community of Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga”.
The role of the General Merchandising Volunteer is to support the ReStore’s objective to sell merchandise that has been donated. This support allows HFH Halton-Mississauga to raise funds to cover the affiliate’s operational costs and build homes in the Halton-Mississauga community.
Responsible to: The ReStore Staff member on duty
Job Duration: Minimum 6 month commitment
Location: HFHHM Halton Office - 1800 Appleby Line, Unit 13 Burlington, Ontario, HFH Mississauga ReStore - 4500 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ontario, HFH Milton Restore - 25 Brown Street, Milton, Ontario
● Ensure the merchandise is presented in a tidy, clean and organized manner to encourage sales
● Responsible to know what merchandise is currently on the shelves
● Be able to respond to customer inquiries regarding merchandise when needed;
● Assist with loading and unloading donated merchandise from/to customers’ vehicles;
● Actively approach customers to help them find items they are looking for;
● Be courteous, respectful and professional to both the customer and your fellow volunteers;
● Train and provide support to all new volunteers as required;
● Ensure work area is clean, tidy and safe at all times;
● Assist in providing information on Habitat for Humanity and making referrals when appropriate;
● Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
● Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it;
● Ability to work with a team or independently;
● Friendly, approachable, outgoing
● Willing to take the initiative
● Excellent organizational skills
● Previous customer service experience is an asset but not mandatory;
● Previous experience in a department store and/or marketing an asset but not mandatory
● Good communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with customers, HFH Halton staff members and volunteers.
● Ability to lift and unload heavy items (25lbs +)
Working Conditions: Affiliate location
● All General Merchandising Volunteers must wear CSA footwear. These shoes can either be provided at time of your shift or you can bring your own.
● A Habitat t-shirt will be provided
Participant Group: ReStore Customers, Affiliate Staff and Affiliate Volunteers
How To Apply
Email or click link above to sign up as a Habitat volunteer!