Literacy Volunteers of Greater New Haven: Basic Literacy or ESOL Volunteer Tutoring
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Literacy Volunteers
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Literacy Resource Center
4 Science Park
The tutor/student relationship is the core of the Literacy Volunteers program. Your tutoring will build a student’s self-esteem and help them achieve life changing goals. Volunteers are asked to meet the following criteria to be eligible for participation as a tutor with Literacy Volunteers:
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Have a valid telephone number and address
- Be able to read, write and speak the English language well enough to communicate clearly both orally and in written form.
- Complete the Literacy Volunteers tutor training course for Basic Literacy and/or ESL tutoring.
- Be willing to participate with the Literacy Volunteers program as a tutor for at least one (1) year.
- Be willing to tutor at least two (2) hours each week.
- Prepare lessons that are relevant to the student’s goals.
- Demonstrate patience, flexibility, and sensitivity to the needs and abilities of adults who are learning to read and speak English.
- Attend at least one Literacy Volunteers Workshop each year. Tutors are also encouraged to attend conferences relating to literacy, when appropriate.
- Submit monthly reports to the Literacy Volunteers office, tracking student attendance and instructional hours.
- Maintain a portfolio of your student’s achievements and periodically submit information about these academic and life skill achievements.
- Work closely with LV staff to pre- and post-test your students.
How To Apply
Please visit our website and complete a tutor application. A Program Manager will contact you
to set up an orientation meeting to our program.