Seattle Young Professionals International Network (YPIN) Volunteer Board Member 2018-2020
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by World Affairs Council
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The Board of the World Affairs Council of Seattle’s Young Professionals International Network (YPIN) is currently seeking volunteers to serve on its programming board for two years, starting in September 2018. YPIN is a fun and dynamic way to be active in the international community in Seattle. Board members gain valuable event planning and leadership experience along with the opportunity to network with people in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors who work in international affairs.
YPIN is looking for passionate, creative, and outgoing volunteers to serve as Program Coordinators. YPIN wants to attract members from a variety of backgrounds. Marketing and communications experience is a bonus as a significant focus of YPIN’s work is dedicated towards growing membership and getting the word out about events.
YPIN is led by a volunteer board of young professionals from the greater Seattle area with diverse backgrounds. Members range from foreign-born transplants to those who just like to learn more about the world around them. Many members speak different languages, have traveled or lived abroad, and enjoy hanging out with people with international worldviews. If you love socializing with people who fit this description, you should apply! You won’t find a more interesting and fun group of young professionals in Seattle.
As a YPIN Board Member you will help plan and execute YPIN events. Board Members must have the ability to organize and support events (e.g. lectures, small group discussions, social gatherings) and should help us envision new events that YPIN has not tackled thus far.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, innovative, and looking to gain board and event planning experience. We’re also looking for potential Board Members with networks of friends, colleagues, and fellow alumni who are interested in global issues. All Board Members are asked to organize a couple of events per year, as well as assist on a few others. There is no financial requirement to sit the board, though if you aren’t already a member of YPIN you can become one at www.world-affairs.org. YPIN wants to bring volunteers to the Board who have already been active with YPIN and the World Affairs Council. If you haven’t already engaged with the community, now is the time to come out to an event and get acquainted with YPIN.
- Finalist will be required to attend a meet & greet event with the current Board from 6:00-7:30pm on August 15, 2018.
- Candidates must be able to attend board meetings on the second Tuesday of each month from 7:00-9:00pm.
- All new Board members are required to attend the Fall full Board retreat, scheduled for September 14-16, 2018.
- A two-year term on the Board runs from September through August (Sept 2018-Aug 2020).
- Each Board member is expected to actively participate in their selected committee - This may include assisting in the planning, coordinating, budgeting and execution of various events with your fellow Board members.
- Each Board member is required to own the coordination of AT LEAST one event per year.
- All Board members are expected to promote all YPIN events throughout the year.
- Members may not miss more than 2 Board meetings in a calendar year.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
How To Apply
Apply here: https://bit.ly/2yoWx8N
Please upload your resume and cover letter by Wednesday, August 1.
In your letter, please answer the following questions:
- In your opinion, what is YPIN’s purpose?
- Why are you interested in serving as a YPIN board member?
- What skill sets and experience do you possess that will best serve YPIN?
- Applications due no later than Wednesday, August 1.
- Phone interviews to be completed by Friday, August 10.
- Candidates will be notified by Friday, August 24.
YPIN will follow up directly with each candidate to schedule a phone interview with one or more current Board members before the meet & greet event in August. Membership to the Board is competitive so please put your best foot forward.