Teaching Fellowship for Sci/Engineer/Math/Tech Industry Professionals
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by EnCorps STEM Teachers Program
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
EnCorps serves the greater SF Bay Area
Have you ever considered becoming a teacher?
Do you enjoy leading, creating, organizing, and serving others? Are you motivated to give back and improve your community and the world? Inspire the next generation of innovators by beginning the transition to teaching middle or high school as your next career.
The EnCorps STEM Teaching Fellowship is a rigorous on-ramp to a teaching career — offering you the field experience, knowledge and connections to ensure you thrive. EnCorps has won regional, state, and national awards for our Fellowship experience, which provides a convenient, guided, and seamless pathway into teaching for STEM industry professionals that can be started while you are still working.
EnCorps is looking for passionate and driven science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) industry professionals who want to make a difference in urban education. You do NOT need prior experience in education, but in order to qualify for the Fellowship, you must meet these eligibility criteria:
- Three or more years* of full time work or research experience in a science, technology, engineering or math related industry
- Do not currently hold a California single subject teaching credential
- Possess at least a bachelor’s degree with a 2.50 GPA or higher
- Currently live in an area we serve (Greater San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Sacramento Area, Greater Los Angeles Area, Orange County, San Diego)
- Fully eligible to work in the United States (US Citizen, Permanent Resident, Work Visa)
*For more, see our full eligibility criteria
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Apply online at http://encorps.org/apply
Our FALL DEADLINE is September 14, 2018. We will invite accepted applications to an in-person interview on a rolling basis, so it is in applicants’ best interest to submit applications right away. Interview events rotate between San Francisco, Oakland, Redwood City, and San Jose; exact dates will be shared when applicants are invited to interview.
As an EnCorps Fellow, you will be better prepared to do the vital work of teaching in a high needs public school district or charter network. The Fellowship is a part time, unpaid experience giving EnCorps Fellows the opportunity to:
- Train to teach by volunteering weekly in a local classroom
- Receive mentorship and coaching from EnCorps staff and an experienced host teacher
- Access expert counseling and advice on which credential type and program to pursue, and how to access funding for it
- Navigate the path to credentialing with support, including the CBEST and CSET teaching exams
- Engage in a robust slate of in-house professional development activities
- Collaborate and share your experience with a cohort of like-minded peers
“I saw a spark in those kids, I want to see more of that. If I can be a little inspiration to them that would be worth it.” -EnCorps Fellow Erika Parker
Find out more: