Torture Survivor Program Volunteer (Program Support)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Libertas Center for Human Rights (Torture Survivor Treatment Center)
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Annex G, 5th Floor
Founded in 2006, the Libertas Center for Human Rights, located at Elmhurst Hospital, provides comprehensive medical, mental health, social and legal services to address the multifaceted needs of immigrants throughout New York City who have survived torture and serious human rights violations.
The Libertas Center is seeking a volunteer to assist Libertas Center staff with a range of program support activities, including administrative, communication, fundraising, and research duties.
Certain research and fundraising duties could be performed remotely. Some activities would need to be performed on-site at our office.
Volunteer Responsibilities (Other/different roles may be added):
· Schedules and conducts follow-up meetings. Provides additional follow-up related support.
· Inputs follow-up data into database.
· Supports communication with client’s lawyers to track application dates, document requests and deadlines.
· Helps support clients’ recruitment for alternative therapy services.
· Conducts internet research to identify and update social service resources (food, shelter, housing, pharmacy, childcare, ESL lists), tailored to client locations.
· Carries out research on country conditions, to support case reviews.
· Scans/files documents and ensures ongoing accuracy and completeness of electronic and paper files.
· Supports fundraising prospect research, policy and outreach activities.·
· Supports Libertas staff as needed.
Second language preferred (Spanish, Bangla, Russian, French);
Experience working with phone and in-person interpreters.
Ability to multi-task and successfully meet responsibilities with professionalism.
Familiarity with issues facing New York’s immigrant communities.
Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
Non-judgmental, compassionate, culturally sensitive approach and ability to empathize with others.
Strong commitment to human rights work and to the Libertas Center’s mission.
Familiarity and comfort/interest working with immigrant populations with complex trauma in a social and/or health services setting.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role to email@example.com. Please write Program Support Volunteer in the subject line.