A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Wanted: one awesome human being with a mighty heart, honest spirit, who is brave and fearless, hungry to do heroic work.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization. National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest volunteer-led grassroots organizations helping individuals affected by mental illness. At NAMI San Fernando Valley, we are proud to offer free support groups and educational programs to individuals and families affected by mental illness. We tirelessly fight the stigmatization of mental illness through our advocacy and outreach efforts to spread mental health awareness in our communities. Not only do we offer people hope, we help them build better lives. Do you want to join us?
We are delighted to be experiencing a growth spurt and are in need of enthusiastic and helpful individuals eager to support us in our mission. As a Volunteer Onboarding Specialist, you are excited and passionate about NAMI's cause and eager to educate our volunteers on our initiatives, services, and achievements. Without you, our volunteers wouldn't know what our organization does, what we stand for, or what we plan to achieve. We need you to bring your customer service, communications, and/or training skills to NAMI so you can prepare our volunteers before they go out into communities and spread the NAMI knowledge!
- Inspire our volunteers by introducing the culture, mission, and vision of NAMI
- Introduce volunteers to our programs via web-conference using a PowerPoint presentation (already prepared for you)
- Assist in setting up further volunteer trainings
- Role-specific training and tools (like prepared Powerpoint presentations) to help you succeed in your role
- Paired up with a Relationship Manager whose sole responsibility is to be sure your volunteer experience is enjoyable
- To volunteer alongside awesome people, make new connections, and add your rewarding volunteer opportunity to your resume/portfolio for career advancement
- To work remotely, with a flexible schedule
- Enthusiasm for volunteerism and helping those who suffer from mental illness
- Proven experience making people smile with your energy and compassion
- Strong communication skills, you enjoy presenting and sharing ideas with peers
- Basic Microsoft Office Suite skills (Word, Powerpoint) and able to learn our simple database platform
- Some experience in customer service, human resources, or volunteer coordination, a plus
- Around 10 hrs/month to donate your time in this role, an average of 2.5 hrs/week
If at any point while reading this post you felt compelled to take action, you are the one we are looking for! To become an impactful volunteer at NAMI San Fernando Valley, email us. *Be sure to include your email address and phone number and we will be in contact within 48 hours*
Check us out here:
The programs and initiatives of National Alliance on Mental Illness - San Fernando Valley are staffed by talented volunteers who have the passion, drive and expertise necessary to fulfill our mission. NAMI SFV welcomes and appreciates individual differences and invites diversity in its broadest definition. We are devoted to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of transparency, authenticity, creativity, and kindness.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Reply to this post by emailing Deanna A. Robinson, Volunteer Recruitment, Training & Management Chair. Please include your phone number and best time to call. Once you respond to the post, you'll be sent an application and a recruiter will follow-up. Process moves fairly quickly, usually within 48 hours.