1276 N Milwaukee Ave
Volunteers in the Secret Agent Supply welcome visitors, customers, and community members into our space and educate them about 826CHI's mission and programs. Many people learn about 826CHI for the first time in our store, and our volunteers help turn these visitors into new volunteers, donors, and other partners. Volunteers also directly support 826CHI by processing sales and donations with our point of sale system. All sales in the Secret Agent Supply directly support 826CHI's tuition-free writing programs.
- Volunteers will act as an ambassador of 826CHI by greeting, engaging, and educating visitors about our mission, programs, student publications, and volunteer opportunities.
- Process transactions and donations through our iPad point of sale system, Shopkeep.
- Keep the store neat, organized, and well stocked.
- Maintain a safe and secure space by following safety procedures.
- Volunteers will assist with opening and closing duties as needed and assist Operations Manager and Creative and Retail Coordinator with special projects.
- Volunteers must complete a separate training before their first shift and become familiar with student publications, frequently asked questions, and products in the store.
- Retail or cash-handling experience
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities
- Works well independently
- Believes enthusiastically in the mission of 826CHI and is comfortable sharing that mission with others.
- A people person
- Knowledge of our mission and programming a plus!
- Store shifts are 2-3 hours long on Saturday & Sunday and the occasional weekday.
How To Apply
In order to sign-up, we ask you to take the following three steps:
- Fill out a short volunteer application at 826CHI. This application can be found at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form. As a part of this application, you will select a date to attend an hour-and-a-half New Volunteer Orientation at 826CHI, 1276 N. Milwaukee Ave, 60622.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation session. During this meeting, 826CHI staff will fill you in on all the specifics of programming and volunteering. To complete the application process, you will also be asked to fill out just a smidge more paperwork and a required background check.
- Sign-up for volunteer activities on our website. Once your background check has been approved, we will send you a welcome email with a link to our online volunteer calendar where you can sign up for opportunities as they fit your schedule. From this point on you will receive bi-weekly volunteer opportunities email highlighting upcoming events.
It’s that simple. If you have any questions along the way, please don’t hesitate to be in touch. Thanks again for your interest in becoming a part of the 826CHI team. We very much look forward to working with you!