Passerelles numériques (PN), a non-profit organization, is dedicated to enabling highly disadvantaged youths, through their abilities and their commitment, to access education and technical and vocational training in the sector of Information Technology. We work to build strong employability which will allow them and their families to sustainably escape poverty and contribute to the social and economic development of their countries.
Established in Cambodia, the Philippines, and Vietnam, Passerelles numériques currently trains 342 students and employs 102 people based in these three countries including a small team in France.
Passerelles numériques relies on the financial and skills sponsorship of several corporate partners such as Accenture, Econocom, Microsoft and Société Générale, and also receives support from individual donors.
In the Philippines, Passerelles numériques started its mission in 2009 with a training center based in Cebu in the central region of the Visayas. PN Philippines offers a two years and a half vocational training program for young people in precarious situations.
Passerelles numériques Philippines provides an intensive and comprehensive IT training to make students more competitive in the booming IT industry. Designed to match local company needs, it includes theoretical, practical and innovative training with modern equipment.
Part of this approach is the “summer classes”, a two-month program during their semester break, where students get hands-on exposure to new technologies and tools linked to IT. The goal is to stimulate their creativity and interest through playful assignments.
Part of the summer classes, the volunteer will introduce the students to the use of 3D design software, ideally free or open source (SketchUp, Blender...), through concrete projects. In a second phase, he should introduce the students to the use of our 3D printer Ultimaker 2+, to make them materialize their projects!
Before the Mission
● To collaborate with the IT & Training team in preparing the course outline, daily lesson plan, materials, etc.
During the Mission
● To prepare and facilitate the workshops every day with other volunteers and local staff
● To constantly update the PN staff, especially the Training and Education team, on the students' performance, attendance, motivation, and behavior which will eventually be one of the bases for creating new and balanced groups for their university training
● To engage in cultural exchange and be a supportive and guiding professional figure to students who come from precarious backgrounds and come from economically disadvantaged and/or dysfunctional families
● To organize and facilitate a final demo where students showcase their output in front of Training staff
4. PROFILE / COMPETENCIES OF THE VOLUNTEERS
● 3D artist and 3D printing geek
● Strong oral and written communication skills in English
● Strong interest in education, and working with young, underprivileged adults
● Interest in NGO contexts and sensitivity to different cultures
Passerelles numériques (PN), a non-profit organization, is dedicated to enabling highly disadvantaged youths, through their abilities and their commitment, to access education and technical and vocational training in the…