VISTA Income Supports and Family Mobility Coordinator
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by United South End Settlements
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The AmeriCorps VISTA Income Supports & Family Mobility Coordinator’s role is two-fold: firstly, they will complete the development of our income supports program, a vital part of our renewed direction and vision for families to move towards economic mobility. Secondly, they will pilot USES’s whole family/parent engagement efforts as we move towards an intentionally Two-Generational model, recognizing that when parents are engaged and have the resources to invest in their children, they and their children are more likely to develop the skills they need to succeed and break the cycle of poverty.
1. Complete the development of materials and strategies for USES’s income supports program:
a) Research and expand upon what government benefits and supports we screen participants for.
b) Build and strengthen connections with other community organizations and agencies in order to connect participants with housing, mental health, or other needs.
2. Strengthen income supports volunteer recruitment, training, and management:
a) Building off of current training materials, create a structure for a two-day interactive training for income supports volunteers.
b) Recruit and train volunteers to do income supports screenings.
3. Develop, pilot, and manage USES’s whole family/parent engagement efforts:
a) Collaborate with staff to develop specific strategies around whole family engagement.
b) Develop and pilot initiatives to better engage parents with children in our youth programs, with a focus on parenting skills development.
• 18 years of age or older
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience with or interest in volunteerism and community engagement
• Ability to balance service commitment with other family/work/school/community commitments in a sustainable way
• Commitment to USES’s mission and core values
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• Flexible, creative and willing to go beyond one’s comfort zone
• Ability to take initiative to be an independent worker and team player
• Appreciation of the utility, collection and analysis of data
• Good organizational skills; able to multi-task
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
• Experience in recruitment/outreach a plus, but not a requirement
• Health Coverage
• Relocation Allowance
• Training & Professional Development
• Living Allowance
• Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
• Local Subway Monthly Pass
• Childcare assistance if eligible
For more information on member benefits, visit https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service. For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare.
Term of Service
Position Start Date: 7/9/2018*
Position End Date: 7/8/2019
Please note this is a one year national service position. Service commitment will average 40 hours per week during the following days/times: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm, with 1-2 evenings per month until 8:30 PM and occasional weekends, scheduled with advanced notice.
*Virtual Member Orientation for this position will be July 9, 2018.
To apply, visit https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=80680&fromSearch=true and click “Apply Now” to fill out your official AmeriCorps VISTA application.
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal offender and sexual offender background check.
To learn more about this position, contact Melody Valdes, Coaching Coordinator,
at email@example.com or 617-375-8144
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided