Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
As an English Teaching Assistant you will work with students in a local K-10 school. This will include lesson planning, learning activities, games, songs, and projects.
Our goals in facilitating English-speaking teaching volunteering in the Galapagos is to build capacity in the local school system and increase local people's job potentials. The Galapagos' tourism-based economy caters to primarily English speakers. Therefore, English language skills are very important for local people's ability to get a job. Most school teachers speak little to no English, so there is insufficient preparation of students to join the tourism work force. Your job is to use and continue to develop your English teaching skills to help teachers in the classroom with lessons, activities, even cultural activities.
As an English-speaking Teaching Assistant, volunteers assist local teachers in English classes for students in a local K-10 school. You will:
- Work with local teachers and assist with everything from lesson planning, to leading and supporting the teacher with language learning activities, to games, songs, and projects.
- Come up with some of your own activities in English for classes.
Lessons range from complete beginner to intermediate English.
- Intermediate level of Spanish in order to communicate with co-workers and students.
- A genuine passion for children’s education, and their well-being.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- We expect volunteers to come with an open mind and an energetic, creative, and enthusiastic nature that stimulates the learning environment.
- Volunteers are welcome to bring classroom materials, but not required to do so.
Accommodation is provided by one of our carefully selected host families or in our volunteer housing. In both types of housing, volunteers have their own room, a fan, bed, desk, dresser, and bathroom, as well as warm water and drinking water. In our volunteer housing, breakfast is not included, but you have access to our fully equipped kitchen facilities to cover your needs. Lunch and dinner is provided at your choice of various restaurants in town, which are usually open-air seating with local cuisine. You simply sign for your meal and we’ll pick up the bill at the end of the month.
Our host families have experience with outside culture and international living and provide an amazing immersion experience. All host family houses are nearby the IOI offices and the local schools in the beach town of Puerto Villamil. Homes are fairly simple, clean, and welcoming. You will have breakfast and dinner with your family. Lunch is at the above mentioned restaurants.
We at IOI pair you with your host family, and we are available at any time to help if any issues arrive with the restaurants, your host family, the schools, if you get sick and need to visit the doctor, etc.
Schedules are based on a 25 hr/week commitment.
Typically Monday-Friday 7:00AM –12:00PM Exact times may be subject to change depending on the tasks at hand. Time for preparation is in the afternoons.
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers