Help Students in Grades 1-3 Boost their Literacy Skills over the Summer!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Masa
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
2770 Third Avenue
Masa invites you to join our summer program! By tutoring once a week you can be a part of the change. Join us in transforming communities through education - one family, one child at a time!
We are seeking dedicated volunteers to be a part of our literacy initiative, 1.5 hours a week. Volunteers will work with students going into grades 1-3 to help improve their literacy skills, so they go into the next school year as confident learners and readers.
Masa is a non-profit organization that partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth and family to create strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
About the Literacy Intensive program:
During the summer, Masa will help students struggling in literacy to boost their phonemic awareness, vocabulary and reading comprehension. In the area where Masa operates, just 25% of third-graders read at grade level - so additional support is critical!
Literacy volunteers will:
- Work with small groups of students going into grades 1-3 to provide intensive literacy instruction, specifically:
- Work with students to identify, hear and manipulate sounds in words using games
- Support students in using tools to recognize the relationship between letters and sounds
- Practice fluent reading with students using instructional level reading material
- Perform daily read aloud to encourage reading comprehension and foster a love of reading
- Create an environment in which children develop trusting and accepting relationships with adults and peers that foster growth and development
- Collaborate in devising strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on an understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities
- Maintain and model high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Additional duties identified by Literacy Specialist as needed
- Be available at least one afternoon a week Mondays through Thursdays from 4 pm to 5:30 pm beginning July 9th, 2018, through August 18th, 2018
- Attend a training which will take place prior to program start date
- Communicate observations regarding students' academic, social and behavioral status
- Be flexible, creative, organized and able to respond to change as needed
- Fill out volunteer application and interview with Masa staff
- Training Provided