Summer Internship in northeastern Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by BILD - Bosnia Initiatives for Local Development
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Hasana Brkica 97
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Join us for a rewarding and unique experience teaching English and marketable skills to youth in northeastern Bosnia and Herzegovina. Gain leadership experience leading classroom and extra-curricular activities.
We are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our Tuzla Summer Institute which takes place at the Behram-begova medresa in Tuzla and the 8th annual Doboj Summer Institute which takes place at the Doboj Center for Culture and Education. Here are links to us in action:
Focus: Education, Multi-culturalism, Post-conflict Reconciliation, Software Programming
Flexible start date between June 11 - 16.
End date between July 17.
Open to: Students currently seeking their undergraduate or master's degree, professional software programmers
A summer internship at BILD is a rewarding and unique experience as interns are involved in two integrated summer educational programs in two cities that were on opposite sides during the Bosnian war (1992-1995).
Interns contribute to the Tuzla Summer Institute which takes place in a predominantly Bosniak city and the Doboj Summer Institute which takes place in a predominantly Serbian city. Both institutes teach practical skills that help prepare young people for their academic studies, their professional careers and their roles as citizens in a secular multiethnic and democratic society. Skills taught include English, information technology, business skills and organizational development. In addition, interns participate in extra-curricular activities that bring people of different cultures together while visiting places of cultural and historical significance.
The Tuzla and Doboj Summer Institutes (TSI/DSI) constitute a unique experience for both students and teachers as TSI/DSI combines academic choice and practical education in a highly diverse cultural setting. Students are entirely free to choose only the courses they want to take. Teachers are free to create their own courses teaching practical skills that are of immediate benefit to the students.
We are especially interested in those who can teach software programming or graphic design skills.
What makes TSI/DSI an especially valuable program is that it takes place in a country that has suffered through a genocidal war and extreme nationalism resulting in endemic ethnic tensions and economic stagnation. TSI/DSI sets an example of people from all of Bosnia's main cultural groups sharing mutual respect while creating a better future for themselves.
What qualifications are needed?
- First and foremost, the intern must be respectful of people with very different cultural values. Interns do not teach values but rather practical skills while respecting the values of those who attend the summer institutes.
- The intern needs to have a strong commitment and be highly motivated to help young people in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- The intern must be willing to follow instructions and respect the boundaries set by BILD staff.
- The intern's English language skills need to be exemplary, especially his or her spoken English (free of verbal clutter such as "like", "you know").
- The intern needs to be a self-starter, able to identify what needs to be done with limited supervision, and be adaptable to changing circumstances.
- It is not necessary but if the intern has skills/experience in the following, it is a benefit: software programming, building websites, teaching experience, business skills, oral presentation skills.
In short, we are looking for remarkably dedicated, enthusiastic, respectful, talented people with a positive attitude, ready to adapt to the at times changing needs of our program, determined to make the most of this opportunity to help youth in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
When is the internship?
The actual dates of each intern's arrival and departure are determined through mutual agreement. In general, interns will arrive before June 17 and will depart by July 22.
Where is the internship?
The Tuzla Summer Institute takes place at the Tuzla Catholic School Center. The Doboj Summer Institute takes place at the Doboj medical high school.
How much does it cost?
This is an unpaid internship. The intern is responsible for acquiring all necessary funding. Further details are provided during the application process.
How do I get there?
Interns are responsible for their international travel. When they arrive at the Sarajevo airport, interns will be greeted by BILD staff who will drive them to their apartment in Tuzla.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
How do I apply?
Send an email to Christopher Bragdon at email@example.com including a cover letter and either your resume or a description of your skills and interests.